45 vs 10mm & which gun?

TC

Now that we will have relaxed CCW laws in Michigan I am considering 2 things. First, 45ACP vs 10mm. I like both and own pistols in both calibers. If I went with 10mm my choices are more limited. I have a Delta Elite but would not use it for concealed carry and therefore would purchase a new gun. I also have a S&W 4516 which would be ideal for carry but am also leaning toward a new 45. Any thoughts on 45 choices for CCW would be appreciated. Does anyone carry Kimber or Les Baer? (Not that I can afford either unless I find a used one) Also, I am married so buying a gun is a very delicate process!

I carry...

...a G29. Just about the best "carry package" for the 10mm round available. Amazingly pleasant to shoot, as well, especially considering its compact dimensions.

TC,

The 10MM is an awesome load, arguably the best semiautomatic round available. However, if you plan to practice a lot, you'll likely find the availability and cost of .45 ACP ammunition to be a considerable advantage. Obviously, if you reload this consideration is invalid.

Both your guns are heavy; you may look at the G30/29 as they are lighter and carry more rounds than what you have; they also would pick up on one of your existing calibers.
I had both and kept the G29 as it gave me low end .41 mag. power in a compact size the Taurus 415 5-shot could not match. FWIW

The concensus over at GlockTalk is that the 10mm reaches it's full potential in longer barrels. It seems it's more effective in larger pistols. Hardly ideal for concealed carry. And for comfortable concealed carry your choices are extremely limited. In 45 cal your choices are much better. There are a slew of compact 1911 designs- Springfield, Kimber, Colt, Wilson, Para-Ordnance, and Baer if you want to go "cocked and locked". Beretta has a 45 Cougar as well as a mini-Cougar. Sig-Sauer has the P-245. Ruger the P-97. S&W even has a mod 457 (I had two) and they are nice carry pieces. H&K has their USP45C (compact). There's just simply more choices in 45ACP for a concealed carry pistol. Good Luck, J. Parker

Well. . . I'd take a 10mm over a .45acp, but there is no sense just having one of the two calibers! :D

For carry pistols in 10mm, both my G20 and G29 are supremely reliable and extremely accurate. My G20 pushes the 200gr XTP at 1135fps last time I chronoed that load. Most 155gr loads moving 1340fps+ from my G20. The Silvertip is moving at 1245fps from my G20.

The G29 is pushing the 200 XTP at 1030fps, most 155grs at 1200-1225fps and the Silvertip at 1165fps.

There is an advantage to the .45acp round (as a 10-a-holic that pains me to say)-ammo availability. I can pick up .45acp ammo anywhere, 10mm is a litter harder to come by.

I love my Para P12. It has only malfed once on a .45acp load (a feeble 185gr swc target load) and 5 or 6 times on 400 Corbon. And if it wasn't so *touchy* in humid weather (the frame gunks over quick in the summer) I couldn't think of a better compact 1911.

Also, I really love my ASAI onePRO. It's a CZ75/Sig hybrid that holds 10 rounds. CDNN Investments (www.cdnninvestments.com) has the onePROs for $449 right now. I have had mine for a year the only thing that the 1P has gagged occassionally on has been the aluminum cased Blazer rounds.

Derek

IMHO, I think where the 10mm really shines is in the woods. I'd get a G-20 in a skinny second if I could figure out which pistol I could do without. Oh well, Best J. Parker

J.Parker, what part of Glock Talk did you find that consensus in? The Dawg Pound? The G29 seems to be pretty popular in the 10 Ring. I feel like a broken record saying this, but given identical bullet weights from identical manufacturers, 10mm auto offers velocities from the snubbie G29 that equal or exceed .40 cal velocities from the longslide G35... Of course 10mm "reaches its full potential in longer barrels"; so does every other caliber. ;)

Your 4516 is an ideal CCW gun, but if you insist, a 1911 of the Kimber, Baer, etc. variety will certainly serve you well.

The 10mm is a mite snarly from the 1911 platform, and downloaded it's just a 40, so sell it.

The G-29 is a nice concealed carry piece. But that's it in 10mm. If one wants a wide array of choices for concealed carry the 45ACP is the only way to go. What interests me is what I take to the woods and I think a full size 10mm would be a good choice. Effective urban loads and calibre's are plentiful. Take your pick. I don't have a problem with the G-29 but why limit yourself to ONE choice? Wait. That's not a choice is it? Best Regards, J. Parker

My personal browsing experiences here in GA have shown me that in the same shop, a used G29 will be $75 cheaper than a G30, because, and again that's HERE IN GA, the 10mm is HARD to sell. But, if I was BUYING a small Glock, I think I'd want a 29 anyway... I've already got a .45, I don't have a 10mm...... yet :D

Thank you all for your comments. You have given me some things to think about. By the way I have sold only one gun. A Marlin 22 rifle, wish I hadn't and will probably never sell one again. Just a "thing" I have.

I just switched my carry rig to a G29. I can tell you that although the 29 is the only option in this caliber, you could do alot worse. It's the bomb. More bang per pound than just about anything out there. It barks and screams and snarls and eats 45's for breakfast. ;)

Sure there are alot of options out there in .45, but if 10mm is calling you, the 29 is hardly a comprimise platform. If there were other platforms in this caliber, I doubt the 29 would be at the bottom of the list.

- gabe

Doesn't...

...EAA do a Witness Compact in 10mm? The rumor mill has ParaOrdnance putting it in the lineup soon, as well.

Back