.45 Super

Nightcrawler

I've heard some people say you can use .45 Super (if you can find it) in a regular .45 auto pistol. Others insist you need a stronger spring. Still others say the gun needs to be beefed up a bit first. I'm confused. Can anybody clarify?

Nightcrawler

I don't have a 45 Super. But I've been thinking about going to that, or the 45 smc. My (limited) research seems to show the need for a heavier recoil AND firing pin spring, and probably a shock buff on the guide rod, too. Other than that, the chamber on a standard .45acp will take the .45 Super. Check it out on the Ace Custom web site. (Don't have the exact address just now, but use your search engine and it will get you there.) HTH Walt

I do shoot .45 Super

and all it takes to convert any sound 1911 is a heavier recoil spring. Wolff supplies a 32# spring especially for the.45 Super and includes a heavy firing pin spring. I'd also recommend a shock buff. Check out

http://www.realguns.com

and look under "Archives" for "A Kimber in .45 Super for $8." The big buck modifications specified by Ace Customs, while a good idea, are NOT necessary.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

Can one fire a .45 ACP in a .45 Super without changing the recoil springs, or must you change back to the lighter springs when you fire the ACP?

One could lose reliability if firing a .45 ACP w/ very heavy recoil springs.

Last I heard, only the HK USP and Smith 625 were okay w/ a steady diet of .45 Super (but, it's been a while since I've done the research; it appears the Taurus Titanium Tracker in .41 Mag is the elusive arm I've been searching for)!

Go with the 450SMC. Aside from ammo being more availible, the case is stronger and does NOT require a fully supported case head (read:ramped barrel) like the 45 Super. Use in a standard 45acp of Super is extremely chancey with the unsupported chamber. Hope this helps!!!!

And yeah, Everything I've got is converted to 45Super!!!

I remember reading an article that Ayoob did a couple years ago on the .45 Super. He had his built on a 4506, done by Lindman I think.
After a couple rounds the gun started to have problems. One of the dots on the rear sight blacked out, and the right side of the decocker came off.
But overall he liked it.

.45 Super & .450 SMC

are identical except for the small primer used in the SMC. NEITHER require a ramped barrel. This was done to eliminate primer cratering which occured with the .45 Super. I could have eliminated the cratering in mine by having the firing pin bushed, but I chose, instead, to convert to large rifle primers by deepening the primer pocket .006". This had the added benefit of reducing the standard deviation of my load (225 gr. Pb SAECO TCBB over 14 gr, AA#7) from 14 to 4.5 while REDUCING velocity by 30 fps.

Yr. Obt. Svnt.

45 Super

I've been shooting light or (tactical as Triton used to call them 230g. @ 1000 fps) 45 Super loads in my P90 for about 6 months now. The P90 was originally designed for the 10mm, then produced in 45 ACP due to lack of the 10mm's popularity, so it can definitely handle the pressure. I definitely would not shoot 45 Super in just any 1911. I personally wouldn't try the Super without a ramped barrel, just because the 45 Super case is stronger doesn't mean you won't blow it out in an unsupported gun... just one mistake with a grain too much powder could be tragic. In addition I upgraded the recoil and firing pin spring. I went up about 50% in spring power and the P90 still shoots stock 45 ACP hardball just fine. Check out the real.guns web page and if you have questions, email joe at real.guns. He's real helpful. I agree with him that a lot of the stuff Ace custom guns does is just that, customizing, and not necessary for 45 super, but you want a strong gun with that supports the case well. I hope your guns support the 45 Super, 'cause its fun to shoot and it sure makes a stopper out of the .45 auto...

This morning, I chrony'd ten rounds of .45 Super that I'd loaded a couple of days ago. 13.8-13.9gr. AA#7, CCI Magnum Large Pistol Primers; Starline brass, West Coast 230gr. plated bullets.

Fired through a threaded, compensated Accu-Match barrel in my G21.

Five rounds clocked at 1245fps, +/- 5fps. Other five were just over 1200 fps.

Slight primer flow, but no case bulges. Accuracy excellent. Recoil nominal. Feed and function perfect.

I'm awaiting .450SMC brass, but Triton has reported having any in stock yet.

Springfield makes the V-16 longslide 1911 for .45 super, and it will take .45ACP. However, unless you change the recoil spring to a lighter-grade, the .45ACP's will stovepipe occasionally.

.45s than can handle the Super

"Buy an HK MK23 Socom. It is rated for the .45 super as is"

I'd love to. Say, can I borrow fifteen hundred bucks? :D

I wish I had a pistol, say, a 1911A1, custom nickel plated, ambi saftey, the works, rated for all loads of .45ACP and .45 Super. *SIGH*

Back