45 super load datta

John0011

I went online to Hodgdonreloading and Vihtavuori, I found some 45 super load data on Hodgdonreloading for Longshot, a powder that I have.

Hodgdon states 1,053 fps max load for a 200 grain JHP with Longshot for a 45 super load.

Vihtavuori states with a 200 grain HAP, Hornady, and 3N37 and 3N38 both powder that I have,

1099 fps max load for 3N37, and 1138 fps max load for 3N38, for just a 45.
No 45 super designation, and Vihtavuori doesn't have any pressure numbers on the page.

Looking for advice on how to move forward with loading something with the Vihtavuori 3N37, or 3N38 powder.

Maybe I need to email Vihtavuori?

Anny thoughts?

Has anyone loaded 45 super with Vihtavuori powder?

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

After matching to VV's 45 Auto data in QuickLOAD, which has 7.9 grains of 3N37 as maximum for a 200-grain H&N RN in .45 Auto seated to 1.22" COL, it looks like 9.8 grains would produce a pressure increase proportional to the difference in maximum pressures for .45 Super. So, you can work up toward that while watching for pressure signs.

Thanks for the reply.

I do have a chronograph to help out while testing loads.

Do you happen to remember the FPS for 3N37 loaded to 9.8 grains for the .45 Super?

I looked up the differance and found some 9mm info

CIP max pressure for the 9mm is 39,200 psi piezo
SAAMI max is 35,000 psi piezo / 33K CUP

So basiclly the Vihtavuori 45 acp loading in CIP is a 45+P loading in SAAMI.

Both the sensors and methodologies are different between the CIP and SAAMI standards. So the pressure readings are not directly comparable.

CAUTION: The following post includes loading data beyond or not covered by currently published maximums for this cartridge. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK. Neither the writer, The Firing Line, nor the staff of TFL assumes any liability for any damage or injury resulting from the use of this information.

John0011 said:
So basiclly the Vihtavuori 45 acp loading in CIP is a 45+P loading in SAAMI.

No. The measuring systems are not directly comparable like that. I've observed the conformal system tends to yield higher numbers as case diameter increases, so the ratios you find for 9 mm will not apply to 45 Auto size cases. For example:

.308 Winchester and .223 Remington both have copper crusher Maximum Average {peak} Pressure (MAP) values of 52,000 CUP. But measured by a conformal piezoelectric transducer, the .308 Winchester has a MAP of 62,000 psi, while the .223 Remington MAP measures only 55,000 psi. Those numbers are arrived at by taking the same reference loads used in the copper crushers and measuring them in the conformal transducers. They do not represent real changes in pressure value.​

For the .45 Auto, the SAAMI MAP is 21,000 psi (or 18000 CUP by copper crusher). The CIP .45 Auto MAP is 1300 bar (18855 psi) by channel transducer (formerly, and now considered obsolete, 1400 bar (20305 psi) by copper crusher). So the SAAMI transducer reads higher than its copper crusher and the CIP's channel transducer reads a little lower by copper crusher. In both cases the methods and gas sampling points are different. There isn't a lot of value trying to apply conversion factors as they all seem to be accurate to about ±15% or so, which isn't very useful).

I took Gordon's Reloading Tool and had to create the 200-grain HAP in it, but I did and the result is about the same as the lead RN load I came up with before, with the HAP seated to Hornady's recommended 1.23" COL and assuming 26.0 grains case water overflow capacity, it says 9.5 grains will put you in the middle of the upper load range (around 25,000 psi) which I stopped at to be a little conservative. Even so, you can see the software sounded warnings, which I take to mean, work the loads up in the steps shown to be conservative and keep an eye out for pressure signs.

Again, be aware these are simulations and not the result of actual testing, so YMMV. However, I note that with Vihtavuori's top .45 ACP load of 7.4 grains of 3N37 under a 200-grain bullet, seated just slightly shorter, the measured velocity is 910 fps from a 6" barrel, while QL predicts 930 fps and GRT predicts 971 fps. This suggests the pressures and velocities in both programs are on the high side, tending to make both graphs conservative. Just remember, your lot of powder, your primers, and brass, and the tightness of your chamber and bore are different, so you can't count on this to be true. It is just an estimate with a significant variation from reality being possible.

You see several pressure traces under the top one, and these are reductions in increments of 0.3 grains, as the numbers immediately across the top of the graph show. Because powder peakiness can often be greater in handgun charges than in rifle, Western Powder recommends taking 15% off maximum as a starting load, or 8.1 grains in this 3N37 case and 9.8 grains in the 3N38 case, so these plots don't go quite low enough. Nonetheless, you can eyeball that these would produce about 800 and 820 fps in the two powders, respectively, with a 5" tube.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• .45 Super 200 HAP 3n37 GRT.gif
    .45 Super 200 HAP 3n37 GRT.gif
    57.1 KB · Views: 1,077
  • .45 Super 200 HAP 3n38 GRT.gif
    .45 Super 200 HAP 3n38 GRT.gif
    54.6 KB · Views: 1,064
Thanks much for the info.
I downloaded Gordons reloading software and have been looking into it.

Tried to look into Longshot but it was not in the database.
is there anywhere to get other powders for Gordons?

I took a look at hodgdonreloading and for a 45 super load with Longshot it states

8.1 grains 1,053 fps and 20,100 psi CUP is maximum.

I thought that according to SAAMI 45+P was 23,000 and 45 super was 28,000

CUP is not measured the same way as psi, and the two units are not interchangeable. The difference is non-linear and varies by cartridge, so there is no conversion factor that doesn't err by at least 20% for some examples.

CUP stands for Copper Unit of Pressure. It is determined by how much pressure in a chamber crushes a statically calibrated copper slug via a piston that passes through the chamber wall. The method was invented in 1869 and it took until the 1950s for DuPont and others to switch to Piezoelectric transducers and observe that the two pressure systems don't track well. Up until that time, pressure from copper crushers was called "psi" because they thought that was what they were measuring. A lot of military manuals still list copper crusher results in psi (the military never adopted CUP officially) and you are just expected to know it was measured in a copper crusher rather than by transducer, and this has caused no end of confusion about pressure and causes people to compare incomparable data without realizing it.

In the case of 45 Auto, the maximum pressure is 21,000 psi (by pressure transducer) or 18,000 CUP (by copper crusher), so you can assume that for 45 Super the limit in CUP would be no more than 24,000 CUP if the two units tracked proportionally. Since they don't track proportionally, the CUP limit for the Super may well be lower.

SAAMI does not have a standard for 45 Super in either the 1993 or the 2015 standards, nor among the "new cartridge" listings on the web site. So the pressure will have been set by the cartridge's inventor or by those producing it. This leaves Hodgdon free to set its own limits, and perhaps they just decided to hold it down close to the .45 Auto +P limits for liability reasons. You could call them and ask.

The only way to get Longshot into GRT is to import it from QuickLOAD, but the GRT authors explain that because the models are different, this importing can produce significant errors in the GRT model. QuickLOAD got its model because the author actually tested a sample in his vivacity bomb (manometric bomb) which measures how quickly pressure rises and to what level between points of time in the overall burn when a specific quantity of the powder is burned inside a closed space (the bomb) of known volume. QuickLOAD's powder models are made by entering the vivacity bomb output and deducing the burn rate and other quantities from there. GRT has been largely dependent on powder companies for this data (see acknowledgment on page 16 of the PDF version of the GRT manual), which companies on the other side of the pond are much more willing to provide than the U.S. companies are. Somchem in South Africa, for example, has right online what the energy content and density and ratio of specific heats are for their powders. You will find U.S. powder companies often don't know all the numbers themselves, much less do they publish them. They just know the numbers they need to place future orders for the powder.

A second issue is that now the E.U. has banned some of the powders we get here for containing chemicals they claim are carcinogens, so I doubt the GRT folks will be evaluating them any time soon, and even QuickLOAD's numbers my never be updated if they can't get the powders over there.

Thanks again Unclenick for the information, so much to learn.

Reloading the 40 S&W was extremely straight forward, load data in every reloading manual, and more on the internet.

The 45 super, does not have that much load data.

Going to be starting off low and working up looking for over pressure signs. I do own a chronograph, that will help.

What I am looking for is a 200 grain at about 1100 (Longshot is close possibly close enough) to possibly 1150 fps.
Depends on recoil of the firearm, and ability of follow up shots.
The loads are for home (Gold Dot) and a woods gun (hard cast) out deer hunting.

A longer barrel with a compensator is available for the hk usp, that would be free fps.

I will begin reloading target rounds for the range, but that will be plain 45 acp with normal brass.

Last edited:
Hodgdon load manual is fubar.
Standard 45 acp with CFE Pistol powder shows much higher velocities with all bullet weights than anything in the 45 super or 45 +P columns.

I have pushed 200gr JHPs to 1,000fps from a 4.25" barrel SiG (yes its over listed max, and no, nothing broke or went wrong) AND, if I want more, I have the .45 Win Mag to go to, I've never been interested in the .45 Super....

Back