45 Super in M625?

Dave AA

Hey Y'all,

Will the 625 take it? Anything I should know? Like maybe a good place to get 45 Super, accelerated wear, etc...

Thanks,
Dave

Clark's Custom Guns will cheerfully skip right over .45 Super and punch your 625 out to .460 Rowland... :eek:

John Linebaugh, the big-bore guru, considers 32,000 psi to be ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM for this gun and prefers to hold his personal loads to 5% under that for approximately 25,000 psi. He feels that the stock cylinder isn't strong enough for safe use beyong that pressure.

Since Ace Custom rates the hottest .45 Super loads at 28,000 cup (don’t know the psi conversion), I suppose that you’re in the big "if" zone with the 625. In the course of time, all the little parts wear a tiny bit and soon adds up to a lot of play in the overall fit and lock-up of the gun. S&W has done a lot to improve the N-frames over the years, but I don’t shoot .45 Super in my 625 Mountain Gun. I don’t want to batter it and .45+p is plenty stout for me in this gun. If that isn't enough power, I go to the .44 Magnum.

I suppose an occasional .45 Super foray -- say for hunting -- would be ok, but a steady diet -- not for my beauty. I have a modified Glock 21 and stock HK USP for .45 Super use.

John Linebaugh, the big-bore guru, considers 32,000 psi to be ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM for this gun and prefers to hold his personal loads to 5% under that for approximately 25,000 psi. He feels that the stock cylinder isn't strong enough for safe use beyong that pressure.

No! Go read again what he said. This is NOT maximum pressure for THIS gun, but ANY gun chambered in .45 LC. Both Blackhawks and N frames blowup at the same pressure levels. And he says that too. It is all those small parts that can't take the constant pounding that is the problem with the N Frame. That is, if it is not this little puppy.

S&W625hunter.JPG

http://www.sixgunner.com/linebaugh/dissolving.htm

Robert

I see. Well, I may try a round or two for grins, but I really don't want to beat it to death.
Thanks guys.
Dave

Back