45 Super in Hi-point

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clone

I would like to know if the Hi Point will stand up to 45 super for occasional shooting. I have one of the new models JHP .45 and it is rated in the manual for +P but if i rember correctly 45 super is a bit more like 45 magnum. Iv put about 5000 rounds through it without a problem (sept my girl limp risting it and stove pipe's) ;) and very little wear. It will feed any ammo that I put in it (the factory says it has problems with wolf ammo but iv not tryed) and shoots a 2' group at 15 yards, and would do better if I could shoot better.

I just got off the phone with a mike.... somebody, and they said the gun was tested up to 35000 psi but said that they had never tested 45 supers with the jhp 45. So on that note does anyone know the psi of a 45 super?

clone-

There are three things that should prevent you from firing a .45 super in your High Point. 1. Recoil force. 2. Slide velocity. 3. Case head support. The recoil spring in your HP is regulated for .45 acp recoil energy. The weight of the slide and the resistance of the recoil spring work together to ensure that the slide does not begin to move backward thus unlocking the barrel from battery, before the peak pressures have subsided in the chamber. When you dramatically increase the recoil force and/or the slide speed, you push the dynamics of reliable operation way out of balance. At the very least, the slide will brutally slam back against the slide stop with enough force to possibly damage your gun. Also, if the barrel does not have VERY GOOD case head support, you run the risk of a ruptured case. At .45 super pressures, this is something you want to avoid at all costs. You might get away with it a time or two, but the consequences of having a "bad gun" day would be very unpleasant. I shoot a Springfield V16 Longslide in .45 super, so I am fully aware of the power in this little beast. The recoil is on par with a .44 magnum, only worse, as this gripframe was not designed with this kind of recoil in mind. But the muzzle blast is worse than a .44 mag. The v16 has two long rows of vent holes near the muzzle that help keep the muzzle down somewhat, but the blast from these vents is quite severe. Anyway the .45 super should only be fired in semi-autos that have been designed, or modified to do so. There are a few revolvers that can shoot the super round. Dan Wesson made a large frame DA a while back that would shoot .45 acp, .45 super, .460 Rowland, and .45 Winchester mag. Ruger makes a .45 Blackhawk/Vaquero convertable (old models only) that can safely handle it. (though if you asked Ruger, they would insist that it is unsafe), Even though handloaders routinely shoot .45 colt reloads that go beyond 44 mag power in these "strong as h*ll guns. Basically...to make a short story long.....please don't try it in your HP....I know these guns are very inexpensive, and if you damaged it the financial loss wouldn't put you in the poor house, but you could really get hurt bad if the gun let go in your hand....

Thank you very much for the informative post, and i think i will stick to 45 +P. It's hard to find people that post on what they know to be true by experience and not just spout rumor or opinion without thinking that it could persuade the ingnorent or gulable into believing false infomation. Thank you again mbartel for the experienced information.

45 Super is essentially a 10mm if not Handloaded

I would think that a HighPoint could shoot 45 Super if you convert the springs to use the 10mm, and simply run factory ammo like Underwood that is in line with their powerful 10mm loads.

This is what many do for 1911 conversions - run a 20lb+ recoil spring, use a flat bottom firing pin stop, and maybe a heavier mainspring. All this does is slow the speed of the slide. That's it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back