45 Super from Triton Cartridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sambonator

Is this safe to fire from an HK USP 45 pistol? I noticed that on their website (www.triton-ammo.com), they had a "limited run" special for the 45 super ammo, made for the Mark 23 SOCOM pistol. Since the USP45 is the "base" version of the same pistol, can this be fired from it?
Thank you!

The Triton FAQ lists that it can be. In fact, the USP45 is the only gun currently produced that can be fired with 45 Super from the factory without ill effects. Change out the recoil spring mechanism (compound spring setup) every 4-5000 rounds for best performance. Have at it.

I haven't had a chance to shoot my box of Triton 45 Super, yet - but will report here once I do.

I have shot a limited number (40) of Triton .45 Super 165 gr. JHP in a USP Expert. The ammunition is very accurate, and shoots to the approximate POA at 25 yds. as standard velocity fare. Recoil is noticeably greater, but certainly not intimidatiing. I for one believe the USP shoots "softer" than my 1911's, and suspect the 230 gr. Super in a conventional (no ports or comps) would be a handful. Flash in an indoor range is something to behold. At an outdoor range, it takes me a couple of rounds to become accustomed to the increased push and regain the same level of concentration I mainntain with regular hardball. The USP digested the small sample of rounds without incident. One failure to return to battery seemed to be caused by by the slide hanging up at the 0-ring unique to the Expert, Tactical and Match variants. A gentle nudge resolved the problem which may not occur at all on standard barrels. I've shot Triton's 165 gr. +P and Super in the same pistol. To me, the +P round (or even Triton's 165 gr. "Light") seems more practical in this particular bullet weight for self-defense purposes if you favor the light and fast school of thought. This pill at 1400 fps may be too light and too fast to hold together for hunting, and shot to shot recovery is too slow (for me) in a defense situation. Others warn that the .45 Super can be chambered in a regular .45 with catastrophic consequences. I'm careful about what I load in which gun, but I will confess that I shoot the Super after I have picked up all of my regular .45 brass for the day. I then try to locate all of the nickel Super cases and throw it away for the protection of other brass scroungers. Theoretically, the heavier construction and smaller capacity of the Super case could lead to problems for an unwary reloader who didn't recognize the Super cases among his other empties. I would hate to ruin the day for someone who thought an extravagant non-reloader left all those shiny new .45 cases on the ground. God bless,
Hugh

Sambonator - Yes, you can use standard .45 ACP dies when loading the .45 Super. The .45 Super has the same exterior dimensions as the .45 ACP case.

Fernando

Has anyone tried to convert a Ruger P97 to .45 Super? I think that the cheap, lightweight, over-engineered P97 in .45 Super could make a dandy "trail gun" for close quarters defense against large predators. No, it wouldn't pack the "oomph" of a .454 Casull, but it would cost a third as much and be much easier to carry.

Just a thought... For most applications, it seems to me that the extra power of a .45 Super comes at an excessive price in recoil.

The American Rifleman article about the development and current status of the .45 Super stated that the S&W 625 was the other factory gun which could safely fire the .45 Super.

Wolff lists two weights of extra power recoil springs for the USP. These would probably be a good investment if one were to be shooting more than a few .45 Supers.

Walt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back