45 S & W questions

243AI

Inactive
Could anyone point me in the direction of info about the 45 S & W cartridge? It is also called the 45 Scofield right? Is it simply a shortened 45 Colt? I was hoping to be able to reload it using 45 Colt dies and etc. I am considering buying a Spencer repro in this caliber. Thanks in advance for any help.

Yup .45 S&W = .45 Schofield. Here is what Starline has to say about their version:

45 Schofield is similar to the 45 Colt. Differences are:
Head diameter approximately .010 larger
Case length - 1.090 to 1.100
Substantially less internal capacity for shooting light loads in most 45 Colt guns with no modifications. You may need to tune extractor on some lever action rifles or decrease diameter of the ratchet on the cylinder by .010 to accommodate the larger head diameter in Ruger Vaquero Colts.
Also increases capacity in rifles

So you would likely require a different shellholder for the larger rim (Made for simultaneous extraction in a break top.) and a .45 Colt seating die might not adjust down enough to crimp. You could get the right shellholder and grind off the bottom of an existing seating die.

45 Schofield Reloading

I Reload This Round To Shoot Out Of My 45 Colt.my 45 Acp Die Works Like A Champ.the Colt Die Will Work But It Doesnt Expand The Case As To Load Lead Bullets.the Acp Works Like It Was Made For It.i Also Load With 777 Powder.30-35 Grns Under A 200 Gr Rnfp Works Real Good.i Also Load With The New Trail Boss By Imr At 4grs With A 200 Gr Rnfp.i Love This Round!!!

Back