.45 owner looking in to other calibers

slojim

help me out. If I want some .45, 230 grain is ubiquitous. Is it so cut and dry in other cal's. I ask because I am going to borrow/rent a couple other guns this weekend, just to try out 9, .40, and 357 along side my .45. Interested primarily in how comfortable I am with each, so when and if I buy another gun I will not waste my time and money on a caliber I don't like.
So what are the most typical loads in each of these calibers?

In the 9mm the favorite load would probably be the 115 grain but I favor the 124 gr Gold Dot and stay away from heavier bullets. In the 40 S&W I go with the Corbon 135 gr and also stay away from the heavier bullets. This is just one humans choice and everybody has an opinion.

Slojim,
I understand that the .40 was designed around the 180gr, but the 165gr is almost as common. (This is for FMJ's) For hollowpoint ammo, the bullet weights vary, but are less than 180/165.
jhisaac1

For pistols, I always pick the heaviest bullet...

.45 230gr
.40 180gr
9mm 147gr

Penetration, penetration, penetration.

9mm -- 115, 124 & 147 grain loads. The first two also come in +p versions. The 147 has a sectional density close to the 230 .45s you're used to which should give it similar penetration to the .45. IF you are a ball fan though, the standard velocity 115s penetrate better than the 230s.

.40 -- 135, 155, 165 & 180 grain loads. The 180s are the originals -- they duplicate the 10mm "FBI Lite" round. LEOs seem to have switched to the lighter bullets though -- I'm no expert but I think the 155s are a good bet in hollowpoints. I'd avoid the 135 gr. Federal "Personal Defence" loading that is quite light -- except where over-penetration is a real concern.

.357 -- I assume(we all know what they say about that)that since this is in the semi-auto forum you are referring to the .357Sig. This chambering is designed for the 125 grain bullet. I use 125 gr. Gold Dots in my G33 with fine results, but I am considering the 110 gr. Cor-Bon for the home defence role due to their lower penetration. I think someone makes a load with a bullet in the 150 gr. range or so, but why bother when the 125s go as deep as they do?

Hope this tyro's ramblings are of some help!

Expanding the Handgunning Experience

slojim--
I admire your open-minded attitude, and feel that all handgunners would profit from a similar exercise.

9 x 19 mm--Suggest you go with 115, ball and JHP and 124 gr HP. With all due respect to Chris and 8200 rpm, the 147 is pretty much a specialty item, as for use with suppressed weapons. This was the original reason for development of the 147--to still have good impact with subsonic velocities. Otherwise, especially in handgun length barrels, you end up with essentially a medium-Plus P .38 Special effect. Nothing wrong with this, really, but you give up some of the advantages of the 9 mm. Personal preference: 124 JHP, either Federal HydraShok or Speed Gold Dot.

.40 S&W
--I prefer the 180 JHP, but I don't use it a lot. Most people have gone to 155 to 165 loads. I'd try the heavy and medium and skip the lightweight bullets. Personal preference: 180 JHP, either Win Ranger SXT or Speed Gold Dot.

This is interesting: Chris Pinkleton raises a good point. I was assuming you meant the revolver. I agree with all he wrote about the autoloader round. It was developed to give performance equivalent to the .357 Mag 125 JHP load in an auto, and, in my testing, they truly succeeded. Actually, slightly higher velocities in the shorter barrels.

If you DO mean .357 revolver, I'd try the 158 JHP or JSP--Probably in Remington or Winchester, as the old classic loads. And the aforementioned 125 JHP--This has become the law enforcement standard for best compromise of incapacitation and controllability in the revolver. I prefer the 158, but then, I'm an old timer, and the muzzle blast and recoil don't bother me too much. There are heavier bullets to be found, but they are specific-purpose, for hunting and metallic silhouette use. Personal preference: Remington 158 JHP or Federal 125 JHP.

Be sure to get a couple of .38 Special loads, just for comparison, and to demonstrate the versatility of the .357 mag revolver. I'd say some 148 wadcutter target loads, and some 125 and 158 Plus P. Personal preference: Rem or Win 158 lead SWCHP.

slojim, you have a pretty full day of shooting, if you do much testing of each of these. I truly hope you enjoy it!

Best,
Johnny

The most common centerfire handgun ammunition, world-wide is the 9mm Luger. The U.S. Military, and other NATO forces use the 9mm Luger, 124 grain ball.

In the U.S.A., for parts and ammo availability, the Beretta 92FS would be my choice.

Outside of the U.S.A., I would opt for the Browning Hi-Power.

Enjoy your decision-making process!

-Mk.IV

Hmm...

I've always thought that the "standard" 9x19mm round, the one 9mm guns are designed around, is the 124 grain FMJ. (At least Finnish Defense Forces use the 124 grainers, as well as several other European police and military forces.)

I agree with some of the above posts. I like the 9x19 in 124 or 115. Much cheaper to shoot unless you reload. I also have a .40 cal. The recoil is significantly greater but I like it alot. A Big bore in a small package. Try them all. Never shot the Sig .357. .357 Mag is great fun. You need a decent wheel gun for this.

Choose what you like. You are the ultimate judge of what is better. My 14 year old likes the 40. He's not a big person but the .40 is what floats his boat! If you want a good 9x19, fork down he extra $$ and get a Browning Hi Power. The Beretta does not compare in quality or ergonomics.

Are you sure you have thought this through??

What advantages do you expect to achieve with other calibers? The only advantage of smaller calibers, it seems to me, is mag. capacity.

Disadvantages include higher cost (although the 9 x 19 is an exception to this rule), decreased availability (OK, 9 x 19 is exception again) and a tendency to be more prone to forcefully disassembling some brands of pistols (allegedly). ;)

Walt

just to clear things up...
I am referring to 357sig, I like wheelguns, but it doesn't fit in this comparison.
The guns are already chosen, P-97 and P-89, and full size glocks for the .40 and 357. Yeah, the 2 pairs are quite different, but at least all 4 aren't different.
Woah, who said anything about getting rid of the .45, I just want to play, and get a better feel for what's available.
Thanks a lot for the input, I'm going tomorrow, I'll post my interpretation sometime soon just so there will be some more opinion out there for you to sift thru.

9x19 - 115gJHP+P+ (or 124g 'special bullet' for L.E.)
(1300fps+)

357 SIG - one load only; the 125g Speer Gold Dot
(1420fps)

40 S&W - 135gJHP (mine, Federal, or Pro Load)
(1280fps+ mine, Fed and PL at 1200fps)

These are the correct weights for personal defense work. They match velocity, expansion, and penetration.

Back