.45 Long or .44 Special

Kentucky Rifle

My small collection is a little light on revolvers. I don't want another snub nose, but maybe a 3 to 5 inch barrel. A man I respect has told me to go with the .44 Special, definitely. However, a few weeks ago I was shooting a friend's Ruger (Black Hawk, I think.) in .45 long and it was a very pleasant round to shoot. Great fun! I'd like to read some opinions regarding these two rounds, please.

Thanks,
Kentucky Rifle

Two classic old rounds, with most factory ammo loaded to very mild pressure levels to not blow up old guns. Really not much difference if all you want is to shoot big bullets at the plinking range. Old S&W 4" barrel N-frames just look "right" to me, and can be had in either chambering; 44 Specials are Model 24's, 45 Colts are Model 25's [Most S&W model 25's are 45 ACP, but they are available in 45 Colt also].
If you want to go hunting chose a Ruger, either a BlackHawk single-action (4 5/8" or 5 1/2" barrels) or a Redhawk double-action (5 1/2" barrel). Corbon & a few other "speciality" ammo companies do heavy reloads in 45 Colt that make the round the equal of the 44 Magnum - and will destroy an old Colt Single Action revolver and damage an S&W with continuous use. Heavy 44 Special ammo is still a reloader-only option, but comes close to the 44 Magnum.

I have S&W's in 44 mag and 45 Colt. I reload, and my preference is the .45 Colt. I often shoot .44 specials in the .44 mag. If you don't reload, there are not all that many factory loadings in .44 special, but most places seem to carry .45 Colt. The analysis of .44 special v. .45 Colt has been done many times. Try sixgunner.com for more information.

I shoot both. Prefer the .45 Colt over the .44 Special. (Like the .44 mag best of all.) Most factory .45 Colt is 250 gr, where the .44 Special is usually 200 gr, and I like the heavier slugs better. *shrug* I'd feel as well armed with either one. It would boil down to the availibility of a good cheap factory load for practice, or an outstanding deal on one model over another.

The only other thing to watch for is the chamber mouth/bore size. .45 Colt can run from .451 to .454, or anywhere in between. A decent recent vintage .45Colt shouldn't be a problem there.

If you go with a 5" barrel, I'd get a 44 Magnum. You'll have the ability to use Magnum or Special rounds. In 45LC, you just have standard rounds. If you reload, you may be able to supercharge them, but I don't reload so that's what I would do.

What is.45 Long?

and what is .45 Long Colt?

I am not aware of cartridges by either of those names, though there is a nice one called .45 Colt.

Lonegunman

I didn't mean to be unclear. A lot of us in Kentucky have always called the .45 Colt a ".45 Long". It's just a local expression. They're the same cartridge.

KR

I'd go with the 45 Colt. More expensive ammo, but more fun too! Just think how OLD this cartridge is! Grab a caliber with some history.

justinr1

KR, how about a .45 ACP?

KR,

I've owned .44 Specials, .45 Colts, .45 ACP (all in revolvers). The most versatile (if you don't reload) is the .45 ACP. Great defensive loads and target loads are available over the counter. The .44 Special and .45 Colt suffer from a lack of variety in factory loads. Find a S&W Model 25 or 625 in .45 ACP. My 25 (bought 25 years ago) Auto Rim (chambers ACP also) was one of the most accurate revolvers I've owned (and that includes my Freedom Arms). Take a look at the factory loads available in .45 ACP, you'll see what I mean.

Regards,
JB

Gee, I'd say that in factory loadings, especially for a pistol that might see self-defense use, the .44 Special is the better choice, while the .45 LC is the reloaders dream for cooking up everything from black powder cowboy loads to near-Casull-level thunderbolts...

A word of caution here about juicing the .45 Colt. In a Blackhawk or a Contender it's fine. In a Colt SAA or one of the clones, or an older Smith it's not a good idea to run really hot loads through them. The old .45 Colt balloon head case hasn't been around in years, but the .45 Colt cylinder design is still the same as it ever was (Great song by the Talking Heads BTW). If the bolt stop cutout is directly over the chamber, don't try to magnum-ize that particular gun. There's enough of em been blown apart over the years that point out that weakness.

JB in SC

I've had the .45ACP "bug" for a few months. It's ALWAYS right there on the edge of my consciousness. "The 1911 disease", I'm beginning to call it. I reaize that we're takling about revolvers on this therad, and I think the decision just may fall to the .45 Colt, but I've got it BAD for the .45ACP too. :)
I don't know what it is exactly. When I turned 50, I began to want (and get) "grown-up" toys.

KR

No question the 45 ACP is also a great revolver cartridge. But the choices were 44 spl and 45 Colt. Go with the 45 Colt.

justinr1

Back