45 long colt with black powder

Riccardo

Inactive
Hi all, i would like to try my Uberti 1873 replica revolver cal 45 with a black powder reload.
I just reload 10 ammo with about 40 grains of FFG black powder with a 255 lead bullet. I'm sure that the barrel pressure will be below the normal ammo made with modern powder, i usually use W231 7,2 grains, but becouse the black powder it is very compressed in the cases my question is:

Is the uberti 1873 revolver strong enough to support the black powder detonation ?

thanks BR Riccardo

Riccardo, I can give a little hind sight to the question. I once was loading black powder in 45 Colt cases to shoot from a Uberti Cattleman.I loaded 35gr. FFFg and a wad and a lube pill and the load was compressed a lot and after shootin awhile I noticed my cases were stickin pretty bad. After some scrutinizing I realized that in each cylinder notch there was a little bulge and in the chamber where the notch was above there was a little bulge upwards right under where the cylinder notch was. That let my cases bulge into the bulge in the chambers under the notches and my cases would thus stick.I had loaded more powder than that prior but didn't use the wads or anything. Just powder with lube in the grooves of the bulet. A 250gr. Lyman 454190 mould and it was fine and no problem. I suspect the over compressing did some kind of pressure surge coupled with a real firm crimp. I had loaded some cases with smokeless powder earlier with my "brother-in-law" trying to help and got double loads of 6.5gr. by weight of Red Dot powder. So I ended up shooting two loads double with 13gr. Red Dot and it screamed out of the gun but no damage to it. Stung my shootin hand.:( The two instances, one with black powder bulging the cylinder at the notches and the double loads with the Red Dot were with two different cylinders). Anyhow the double loads(two cartridges) didn't hurt anything and the compressed black powder did bulge the cylinder at the notches. The instances happened a long time ago when I was young and perky and I'have learned from the mistakes for sure. No brother-in-laws or anyone around when I reload cartridges and no overly compressed loads with black powder in an Italian gun. I don't load FFFg black in cartridges anymore and stick to FFg black powder. I usually use 33gr. FFg black(by volume) or that amount of Pyrodex now and have since just after the bulging incident. I will load FFFg in my 45 Long Colt Ruger Vaquero though and have no problem. Live and learn I guess. I'm lucky to still be here and not have had the cylinder turn into a shrapnel grenade:( when I compressed the black too much or had a coupla double loads with the 13gr. of Red Dote powder). Funny. The double loaded Red Dot loads didn't affect the gun at all but the overly compressed black did. Bulged the chambers up where the notches are on all six chambers. Funny. Almost. Years ago when I was learnin I came across the load of 35gr. FFg Pyrodex with a 230gr. pure lead bullet(lead bullets with no crimp groove for a 45ACP and just one small lube groove sized to .454) and it was the most accurate load I ever found for that Uberti Cattleman. Dead on bulls eyes at 50 yards as I remember. I could still see good without glasses back then. :D

I can tell you those are gonna be hot loads. I shoot 30gr FFFg BP with a 255gr flatpoint in my Colt Dragoon 4 1/2 lb. Hogleg with an R&D Conversion Cylinder. I won't load any hotter... have fun.

It is a standard to use FFg in cartridges unless a person is lookin fer a huntin load in a strong gun right?

I 'll be usin' FFg when I load some up next time...a friend gave me this box, very accuate, but too stout for my guns to be shootin'. I don't like beatin up my guns... You are correct Wayne.

Old Dragoon after loadin that one 40gr FFg in my Uberti ... I had to load the rest. This one's a BU I think from Taylor's, I'll find out. I think that's a 2004, or is it a 2005...as I know you just got one. CCI#11's fit perfect, CCI#10's won't go but half way on. I give um a squeeze lil anyway.

City of L.A. woke me up today...Personel said they'd contact the Medical Dept. and I may have a start date within a week. Did you get my message on your machine this AM?

Last edited:
SG,

I have shot 40 grns in my C & B '58.. all three of them. Sounds like a magnum, but don't feel as bad.

BU is 2004, BZ is 2005

You talking to me or Oldelm, or both??
I got your message on my message machine...Thanks for my phone nuumber....DUH! Well I never call it........

Cool on the job. What you going to be doing Besides waving to me as you go by in the mornings??? (I'm just west and 3 houses south of the northbound Angeles Forest Hwy exit) ?

Ooops I fixed it I was talkin to you. I be Working for the D.O.T. as na Electrical Craft Helper... I'm tryin not to think about the drive. Probly take a Vanpool. If not I'll honk when I go by at about 3:30AM...LoL!
Hey did you ever check your measurer against anything else? Jus wonderin I remember talkin about them at the range. Did you fix up that loading lever end any differant? Jus was thinkin bout it wondered how you'd done it.
I do like this Uberti I got I may have to go try it tomorrow. I still have some .457 balls that just make a little heavier swedge ring. Or I can make some balls tomorrow then go try it out. I'll figure it out when I wake up I guess.

I bought a used '58 Rammer and will replace the rammer on the gunfighter. I shot it Sat morning and it did fine but after 50 rounds that top end was wanting to rise. When the rammer gets here I'll replace it. The one in the gunfighter is a mockup anyway.

Thank you all for the good suggestions , for my curiosity what was the original black powder charge in the old 1873 pre 1900 ? I know that the steel used today for make these replica's it is much more strong compering the one used in the 18th century.

tks Ciao Riccardo

Back