.45 long colt rolling block strength

Hello everyone, hope your all well! Sorry if this is in the wrong spot I wasn’t sure where to post? I recently ordered a pedersoli rolling block in .45 long colt. I just love all the old guns and mostly plink, however I’m curious how strong a load the rolling block action can handle? I have read that the .45 lc can be loaded pretty hot? I’m not wanting to hunt water Buffalo, but it would be interesting to use it close range on whitetail if it can handle more then cowboy loads. What’s peoples thoughts? Any first hand experience? Thanks!

If it's made the same as the rest of them and I don't see why it wouldn't be, it can handle any .45 colt load you can come up with.

Just make sure it's not marked "Black Powder Only". Assuming it is not, you should be fine. That said, shooting deer at close range (I'd call that 50 or 60 yards) you don't need really hot loads. Save your precious powder. You never know when you'll be able to buy more.

A standard load of a 250 at 850 from a revolver will be at higher velocity from a 20" Carbine and will do all that is needed for a deer.
Lyman has actual rifle data.

My "standard" load for a 7 1/2" Ruger Blackhawk is a Missouri Bullet 255 cast over Unique. No cowboy load, it goes over 1,000 fps. If you like jacketed bullets, there are plenty of good 250s available, usually (supplies are tight now of course). And the load manuals or online databases have plenty of good loads.

I do go nuclear with the Blackhawk on occasion, but each round takes a big bite out of my H110 supply.

One of the cartridges Remington chambered the rolling block rifle for was 7mm Mauser.

IF your reproduction is faithful to the original it will handle any sane (and some insane) .45 Colt loads.

"Cowboy loads" are loads made for Cowboy action shooting games. They are intentionally underloaded compared to regular ammunition to gain a speed advantage in the game through lighter than usual recoil .

Any firearms factory chambered for a cartridge will "handle more than cowboy loads" because regular standard ammunition is "more than cowboy loads".

One of the cartridges Remington chambered the rolling block rifle for was 7mm Mauser.
That was the #5 rolling block, and it had a reinforced threaded area that was thicker and stuck up like a hump on top of the receiver. Original Rolling Blocks were mostly for black powder. There were Civilian Rolling Blocks with the half octagon threaded area, military Rolling Blocks with thin rounded threaded areas, military Rolling Blocks with thicker threaded areas, and the #5 described above. Reproduction Rolling Block rifles will have several advantages over ANY Remington Rolling Block, primarily in the quality of the steel used (most early RRBs had iron frames).

Howdy

Pedersoli firearms are made in Italy.

All firearms made in Italy are proofed in Government proof houses to standards a little bit stiffer than American Sporting Arms and Ammunition Manufacturers Institute (SAAMI) standards.

Your 45 Colt Pedersoli Rolling Block is perfectly safe to shoot with any ammunition that meets American SAMMI standard of 14,000psi Max. You do not have to only shoot 'cowboy loads' in it.

I would stay away from the Ruger Only loads, but regular, off the shelf factory ammo is fine.

I would be leery of some of the stuff sold by Buffalo Bore. Some if their ammo exceeds SAMMI spec, some does not. You have to read the specifications of the specific cartridge.

Back