45 loads

lbenson

Inactive
Howdy ya'll.New guy here.I've been watching this forum for quite sometime and it looks like a good one.
I've just ordered a new 3rd generation colt peacemaker in 7 1/2".I intend to reload so I could use all the advice I can get. I've purchased Starline brass,200 gr LRFP and 255 grain semi-wadcutters, and Redding dies.I'll use the 200's for plinkin' and the 255's for serious work.I haven't narrowed the powder down yet for either of the 2 weights so I could use some advice there,especially for the 255's.Also,can I assume that .452 bullets will be correct or am I going to have to slug the barrel?
My gunsmith says it will be 2 to 3 months before I get the gun and I'm already antsy.
Thanks in advance and good shootin'.

Howdy, 452's should be fine, if your getting terrible accuracy and leading with them try 454's but you should be fine. Unique is a very popular powder for the 45. I use 7.6gr of HP38/W231 as a working load and recomend 20gr H4227 as a max hunting load. What configuration did you order that Colt in anyway?

Thanks Timothy74
I ordered 7 1/2 in and blued casehardening.
What kind of pressure or velocity can I expect from H4227? From everything I read peacemakers shouldn't be loaded over 14000 cup.
How much slop in the cylinder and hows the trigger pull?
If it needs accurizing I may send it to Eddie Janis in Calif.
Also considering Wm Brown out of Tombstone for the leather.What's your take on these gentlmen?

H4227 is a slow burning high volume powder like W296 and H110. That load is safe in all SAA's both Colt and Italian's. As always work up slowly, 18grs will probably be going 940fps easily from that 7.5''. Good luck

timothy75:
Where did you get your suggested load of 20.0 grains of H4227 under a (presumably) 250 gr. bullet in the .45 Colt?
I can't find any reference to using H4227 in the .45 Colt in the Hodgdon Powder website. Speer No. 13 reloading book (1999) doesn't have it. Lyman No. 48 Reloading Handbook (2002) doesn't mention such a load. Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook (1980) doesn't have it.
What's your source? I wonder what the pressure is for such a load? It may be well beyond the capability of a Colt Single Action Army.

The Colt Single Action is not a particularly strong action, compared to the Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt. Many of today's loads are designed for, and tested in, the Ruger .45 (Blackhawk or Vaquero), which are far stronger guns than the Colt.

Ibsenson, I'd urge caution when loading for that Colt Single Action Army. Ensure you don't use a stiff load, intended for the Ruger .45, in that fine Colt.
I realize that your Colt is newly made but it's still weaker than the Ruger.
Be wary of any loads you find posted on the net; ensure they are not intended for Ruger revolvers or Thompson Center single-shot handguns. Such loads will wreck the Colt with one shot.
My personal practice is to check all loads I find on the net against an impeachable source, before use. These impeachable sources include the websites of powder or bullet factories or recently printed reloading books.
I've seen loads for the .45-70, .45 Colt and .44 Magnum on the internet that are beyond the realm of over-pressure, they were downright insane.

This is not an indictment of timothy75. Perhaps he has a good, solid source for his suggested load.

My favorite .45 Colt load, since 1973, has been the Keith 454424 semiwadcutter, cast of wheelweights or harder, over 7.5 grains of Unique. This is a light load, bringing about 800 fps from my Ruger with 5-1/2 inch barrel, but an accurate one.
It is a maximum load in the Colt, however, according to the Lyman No. 48 handbook. I'd suggest you start at 7.0 grains of Unique, if you wish to try it.

Before I knew better, years ago I used to fire the 7.5/Unique load on occasion in my first generation Colt Single Action Army, made in 1874.
Colt Single Action Army revolvers built before 1900, with serial numbers under 192,000, should never be fired with smokeless loads. Never. They were not built for smokeless powder. I'm lucky I didn't blow the ol' girl to Kingdom Come.
Your newly manufactured Colt will take reasonable loads but don't try to Magnumize it. The 250 to 260 gr. bullet at 900 fps is plenty good for defense and hunting. You may raise that velocity a bit to 1,000 fps, through judicious loading, but it's doubtful that game or aggressor would notice the extra 100 fps if hit solidly, especially if a modern semi-wadcutter bullet is used.
I'd forsake any jacketed hollowpoint or softpoint bullets. They show no advantage over a good semi-wadcutter and they're far more expensive. The copper fouling is also tougher to remove than lead fouling.

I envy your recent purchase. Would that I could afford a new Colt. I hope you enjoy it a good, long time.

thanks Gatofoe
I've settled on 2 powders for the 200 gr.Either Titegroup or Trailboss.Leaning towards Titegroup only because I'm a Hodgdon fan.I use Hodgdon for 6.5-284 thru 223.I do many forms of research before I work up a load for any caliber.My 38-55 was a real beast and my first experience with cast bullets.Since I'm aware the colt can't handle the pressure,I thru the thread out there to see if anyone else was using the same powders that I intend to use.
BTW,I can't really afford a Colt either. It's kinda like buying gas...they got ya by the nads so you do what it takes to buy what ya want.Do I have enough guns....yes.Do I have all the guns I want....no.Since I'm spending my sons inheritance now,he'll end up with it later instead of sooner.

I've been very happy with Titegroup for loads in the 800 fps range--prefer it over Unique, Bullseye, and W231. Haven't tried Trail Boss.

The H4227 load I mentioned is a popular one in sixgunner circles. Mike Venturino has written about it in several magazines and I believe he got it from Hank Williams Jr. I've shot 20grs in Ubertis with no pressure signs and up to 25grs in a Ruger Bisley conversion. As always work up slowly.

Ibenson, I use a Lyman 454190 mold as cast at 250 grains (wheel weights) and tumble-lubed over 5.5 grains of Titegroup. It has been very accurate for me and it goes about 800 fps.

Titegroup

I use 6.3 grains of titegroup with the 200 grain .452 bullet. Titegroup in that load will produce 875 fps (4 3/4 barrel) and low pressures with the 200 grain bullet. Another plus is that it is not position sensitive and accurate.

Back