.45 LC and .410 shotshell

Status
Not open for further replies.

cnemeth

Can .410 shotshells be fired from all .45LC revolvers? I know you can do this in some rifles and at least 1 handgun.

Thanks
Christopher Nemeth

No they can't the Thomson contender for instance has a long chamber to accomodate the much longer .410 shell. On a Ruger Blackhawk revolver for intance the 410 shell is too long and gets stuck 1/2 way in. You can make full cylinder length shotshells from .44 marlin brass by trimming it to cylinder length and fireforming. If anyone is interested I have the info. Also 44 mag shotshells can be made from 30-40 Krag brass.

They can if the gun is specifically designed for this combo (and so stamped).

How about this: A lever-action .454 Casull/.45 Colt, with a companion revolver that shoots .454 Casull, .45 Colt, or .410 shotshells - that's a versatile cowboy combo there. Can anyone knowledgable about lever actions tell me if the action will chamber either/or, with a tube full of both .454 Cas and .45 Colt? I think I've seen lever .22s that handle shorts and longs....Come to think of it I doubt this can be done even if it will cycle, because of the chamber's front edge - if you shoot a .45 Colt from a chamber for .454 Cas, the bullet could hit the chamber's edge, no? -Not a problem with a revolver.

[This message has been edited by Futo Inu (edited October 31, 1999).]

I don't think I'd try it with .45-70 - talk about muzzle blast. I've always wondered how these pistols get around the short-barreled shotgun prohibition??? "Unpenetrable wall of lead"? - I'm not sure about that - an autoloading 10-guage long gun, maybe...

I agree unpenatrable wall of lead is a lame marketing statement. The only thing I would buy something like that for is a trail gun for killing hostile rattlesnakes and such

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back