.45 jamomatic

lodi

Inactive
I just purchased some IMI 185 jswc light gold match load,and I can't get them to feed to where I could use them in a IPSC comp. Could it be that the 18 pd. spring is to heavy? I had planned on going to a 15 pd. spring if it would not cycle. But what it is doing is jamming about half way in the chaimber at a slight slant. If I try pulling or pushing the slide to get it to go in the rest of the way it does not help.
If I insert a mag with the slide locked open and then release the slide it closes sluggishly. I am shooting a Wilson Protector that will usualy eat anything.
HELP!! :confused:

Hello Lodi... it's troubling that there many people that have seen the thread, yet can't help.

Have you tried the said rounds in the chamber of a different pitol to test for overall length?

Is the inside of your chamber relatively polished?

I'm not very experienced, but did have a 1911 that failed to feed with a particular brand of ammo...it seemed that the nose was hitting the forward upper part of the chamber. Polishing did help. Not sure if this is the same type of malfunction - good luck, I'm interested in the fix.

Some bullet shapes just don't feed in some guns. That being said, have you tried different magazines? If the gun won't feed when the slide is released from the slidestop then it is unlikely that changing springs will help. Normal jams from springs that are too heavy for the ammo are failures to eject more than failures to feed (although a really light load can cause the slide to not go all the way back and feed well). It sounds like the round is jamming into the top of the chamber before the magazine is releasing it. This could be caused by the magazine, the feed ramp, or the overall cartridge length (or combinations of all of the above). One of the tricks that handloaders use with the SWC shape bullets is to seat them a bit short (deeper) so that the flat point is at about the same point that a round nosed bullet would match in diameter.

I have seen two types of the 185swc bullets. I've used ones(western nevada I think) that are almost exactly the same profile as a 200swc and they work fine in my kimber. My buddy had some that the profile was short and stubby and he had nothing but jams in his colt, but his colt would feed the 200swc. Maybe you just need a different bullet.

Magazine Timing?

I had this problem with home-cooked 40auto loads I was developing. As it turned out, the feed lips on the magazine just would not let the cartridge go before the nose of the bullet, feed ramp, and feed lips wedged the cartridge and caused a jam. My advice would be to get a cheap surplus magazine or one designed to feed such bullets. You can play with the timing a little at a time with a dremmel tool and some patience.

My question is: can you duplicate the jam away from the bench? If so, it's likely a magazine problem and you can keep your 18lb spring. I'd work the magazine angle first, then the recoil spring. If all else fails, you can open feed ramp up a bit. I'd use this as a last resort. Much better to tro the other angles first. BTW, you'd have better luck on the Smithy forum.

I shot yesterday and noticed that the first couple of mags went though ok but then it started happening again .I looked in side at the feed ramp area and it was stove black real sticky sooty feeling, I guess this stuff burns really dirty.I put a mag in and tried 3 or 4 times to close the slide but it would jam every time I just kept pulling the slide back ejecting the rounds untill one finaly locked up. I will try next time using different mags I have Wilson 8 and 10 and some Chip Mc.
Someone said it might be a exstracter problem ,I'm going to look into that.
Thanks Steve :)

How well do you clean your guns? You might have some excessive build up of lead or other fouling that has tighten the tolerances. Have you fired any ball ammo through it?

I agree on trying other magazines. The problem is overall cartridge length. If you still can't get those rounds to feed, and they are so dirty that they hang up the gun, there is an easy solution - don't use them.

I never buy any ammo in quantity at any price until I have tried one box to be sure it works, both for feeding and firing. It is heck to be stuck with 5 or 10k rounds of something that has to think about going bang.

Jim

My para would do the same thing. Ended up it just needed to be cleaned. I was also a bit more careful about the amount of lube I used. Have you been lubing it to try to get it to work? It might have developed into a sludge in the frame/slide rails. That's what happened to mine. The soot-sludge slowed the velocity of the slide in such a way as to give me feed problems. Same kind of stove-piping. Also, a lower spring weight might help....

You are experiancing one of the most common 1911 problems. You probalby need the throat of your barrel opened up a little more. Is the bullet impacting the area where the ramp on the frame and the throat of the bearrel meet? If so, that this is probably the problem. Also, the barrel may be coming back to far and over-lapping the ramp, leaving the edge to ba caught on the short and flat nose of the bullet. Also, you migh want to chamfer the edge of the barrel hood to prevet that edge from catching. IF you are using a ramped barrel, the trasition from ramp to chamber may need to be smoothed out. If the gun is short stroking, then you might want a lighter recoil spring.

The IMI 185gr JSWC match load uses a short-nosed, deep-seated bullet that results in a feed profile very similar to that of the Federal 185gr JSWC Gold Medal load. There's a short overall length with very little of the bullet's "shank" protruding past the case mouth.

I bought some of this ammo at a gun show for about $11.00 a box one time and ever since I've regretted not buying more. It functions perfectly and delivers outstanding accuracy in my bullseye .45s.

Try using a seven round Metalform magazine for improved feeding.

I don't know if by 'IPSC comp' you mean competition or if the gun is compensated. If it is compensated look at what some of you buddies are shooting. This is a light load and you don't need an 18 lb spring. Try a 12 lb spring and a Sprinco recoil reducer.

Based on your description, I'm guessing that the load is too light for the 18lb spring. Standard spring on a 1911 is 16lbs.

Back