.45 Hornady 200gr +p XTP, any good?

long shot

Would the 200+p XTP be a good carry/home def. load for a Glock 21 & 30?

I've heard the XTP's don't expand to well, but thought I'd get opinions from everyone hear at TFL. Also, how's the muzzle blast/flash, particularly out of the G-30, & what would the recoil of this load be comparable to out of both pistols?

Thanks in advance, long shot!

Hello. Hornady now states that they use low flash or flash retardant powders in their commercial ammunition. Of the Hornady XTP factory loads in .45ACP, I believe that Bill Wilson recommends the one you are interested in.

I've found Hornady bullets to consistently expand, but unless driven to higher velocity than usual, they do go to about 1.5 times their original caliber. I've also uniformly found the XTP line of factory ammo to be accurate and reliable in feeding.

I strongly suspect that of the 200 gr defensive loads in .45ACP, this one will penetrate as deep or deeper than the rest.

If it's of importance, I THINK that Marshall and Sanow rate this load in the high eighty percentile range for OSS.

I personally believe that this load is best suited for field use and wouldn't hesitate to use it or the 230 gr version for such activities, but it likely wouldn't be my first choice for personal defense in this caliber.

For .45ACP pistols with 5" bbls or bbls no shorter than 4", I'd likely use Federal's 230 gr HydraShok for protection.
Were I shooting a shorter-bbl'd pistol, I'd likely go with a Plus P load in 185 to 200 grains from CorBon or Triton.

Best.

Back