.45 Double Action // Help!

Charlie B.

Inactive
Just sold a beautiful Vaquero SS, SA .45 Colt. ( No I don't know why---- Gun Fever? ) I have been seriously considering buying a double action .45. Not too many choices--Redhawk vs. S&W 625 (I know). In my small town there are only three gun dealers who aren't likely to be stocking either. The only experience with these models is that I have fired Redhawk, but only in 44Mag which I've never really been comfortable with. I plan to use this gun for woods carry and possibly to replace my 1911 as nightstand gun. Since the S&W is a .45 ACP I suppose it requires full moon clips which I have never used. If anyone has any experience with either or both I could really use your help before I ORDER one unseen and unshot. Prices are comparable.

Thanks,
Charlie B.

CharlieB,

I have been shooting the .45 ACP revolvers for a long time now. I have a few of them and I can tell you that you cannot go wrong in getting a 625. I know of 3 people who had never really been into revolvers and when they got their 625's they were kicking themselves for not getting one sooner. A few weeks ago I had a guy at the range say he was looking for a big bore revolver that doesn't hurt as much as his 4" Anaconda (.44 MAG). I immediatly thought of the 625 and since he is already a .45 ACP shooter (autos) I let him try a few cylinderfulls in my 5" 625. After the first 6 shots he looked at me and said he was buying one ASAP. The moon clips are easy to use, pop in the loaded rounds and pop out the empties.
I also own a Redhawk and think they are great also. Size and weight is another consideration for you here. The Redhawk will be bigger and heavier than the 625. If weight and size matter to you then the 625 is the better choice. Since we are also talking about two different cartridges, power is also a consideration. Since the Redhawk is in .45 Colt it can be loaded up to higher power levels than the 625. If that is a big factor for you then the Redhawk is your choice. If you are a handloader, there are some great loads for the 625 that can better standard .45 Colt loads but with handloading, the Redhawk will still win.

I have a 625. GREAT gun. Quite accurate. Has the typical nice, smooth S&W action. Love it. Yes, you need to use full moon clips. Get the demooning tool from Dillon Precision to remove the spent cartridges from the clips. I replaced the rubber grip with wood. I've got the 5" model with the full underlug. It's a big sucker...

M1911

If you really want the .45 Colt I know that S&W has made 625's in that caliber. I have a 625 in .45 ACP and I really like it. The moon clips are very quick and positive to unload and reload and easy to use. And you tend not to lose your brass. The Dillon tool is great, but I shoot in competition and I find it also useful to have a tool that removes one at a time that I got from (I think) Wilson. You can actually do it with just an aluminum rod.

Charlie,

You do have another option.

In addition the the S&W M-625, and the less common M-625-5's in .45 LC, and the Redhawk in .45 LC, Taurus' M-450 is chambered for the .45 LC cartridge.

It is a moderately light revolver, and even comes in Titanium to make a flyweight, five-shot revolver with a 2.5" barrel, and rubber grips.

An acquaintaince in TExas has one that he uses for his CCW gun. Tinker really likes it a bunch. I've been looking for one since they were announced but have not had a chance to handle or shoot one yet.

Doc

I have the stainless 5.5" Redhawk in 45 Colt (and three more in the 'other' calibers).

I think it is the finest DA pistol available.

The 625 is for the 45ACP, and I don't consider that a 'woods' cartridge. Nice gun, but not a 1911 (or Redhawk).
The Taurus simply does not provide the satisfaction of ownership I require.

My Redhawks all wear Pachmayr Decelerators, both for feel and because they help my hand get a high grip, perfect for fast DA work (use my 44 Redhawk regularly for USPSA).
All but the 7.5" 357 version wear Millett orange-ramp front sight blades, because they are unbelievably easy to acquire quickly, and work well in lower-light conditions.

My 45 Colt Redhawk easily delivers big heavy bullets in excess of 1300fps.
It can also accurately send 255's out at 850fps, perfect for foolin' around.

If you want a DA .452"-bore handgun, the choice (should be) is easy....

Let us know.

psssst...

say it with me..
COLT NEW SERVICE Revolver..

yes they are old but there are a LOT of them around in really good shape, available in 45acp (like mine) or in 45 Colt. its a big gun and a sweet shooter and you can usually find them through gun list for under $500, if your local dealer will handle a transfer its a really really neat gun to add to your collection.

Back