45 colt

oldbear1950

what does everyone think of 45 colt as a defensive round?
I general have an Uberti EL PATRON in 45 colt, and carry , and have it in the car and house for self defense.

I've been shooting the .45 Colt since 1983. Love it!

SA revolvers aren't considered the best defensive pistols today, but I feel confident it will work every bit as well as they have since 1873, if not better.

The Army liked it because it would stop a horse. Or a man...
DO your part, it will do well.

It will get the job done, however to avoid over penetration bullet selection is important. Those big heavy bullets travel like a freight train.

Those big heavy bullets travel like a freight train.

That's why they work so well.

"Overpenetration" is one of my personal buttons. I can see where it is a significant concern for some people, and for police agencies, but I'm not them.

I don't live in a crackerbox with people close on all 6 sides. I'm not a dept where I have to worry about lawsuits from (possibly) dozens of officer involved shootings every year. SO, for ME its a low priority, one I balance against the risk of the bullet not penetrating ENOUGH.

The Famous FBI Miami shoot out, where a 9mm bullet, that met all the penetration requirements, "failed" to stop the bad guy immediately. It did cause a lethal wound, but stopped just short of reaching a point which would have incapacitated the bad guy right then.

SO, I believe that a bullet that does not have the capability of complete penetration cannot be fully relied on to have enough penetration for all possible situations.

This is my personal opinion and each person has to decide for themselves what their priorities are.

For myself, and only myself, I would choose a bullet that goes all the way through, from every possible angle, so as to be certain it has enough penetration to go to (and through) where it needs to go.

That being said, I won't tell you not to choose a bullet "less likely" to "over penetrate". If you have confidence that its performance will be enough to save your personal posterior, then by all means, use it!

There is no magic bullet, and there is no free lunch. For every thing you get, you have to give up something. Up to each of us to decide what's more important to have and what's more important to give up.

I think it would definitely get the job done, but that's a pretty big handgun for just six shots.
I'm curious, how do you carry it?
I'm guessing either outside the waistband gunslinger style, or in a shoulder-holster.

I think it would definitely get the job done, but that's a pretty big handgun for just six shots.

Five.

I am not personally familiar with the El Patron model but generally the Ubertis are essentially Colt clones, so 5 rounds is the safe carry mode.

If your SA has a Ruger type transfer bar or some other safety system, then it is safe to carry with all 6 loaded. If not, if its like the original Colts only load five, and do it the right way, (load one, skip one, load 4, lower the hammer) so that there is no live round under the hammer.

Some where have several boxes of 45 LC that are custom loaded with Speer's original 200 gn flying ashtrays.

If I'm shooting a 45, it's a 1911 with 7+1 185 Golden Sabres. I have two 45 Colt Blackhawks and one of them is always mounted in a Diamond D Chest Holster when I'm hunting deer or hogs.

The 45 Colt will hit with plenty of power for sure, however if that were my only weapon and I was unable to afford another, I would sell it and buy a modern design.

When my life is on the line I never want to handicap myself on purpose.

I shoot a lot of 45 Colt in S&W m25s. I shoot the flying garbage can, Lyman 242gr button nose WC and the original 250 RnFp both cast. I shot a deer with the Wadcutter. Only clipping along at 750fps. It went through deer like it was pudding. Wasn’t bang flop but it didn’t go far. That WC put hurt on its oil pressure. Blood was pumping out in spurts. Snow on even Stevie Wonder could have tracked it.

I've owned Blackhawks, Redhawks and Super Blackhawks. I have fired so called defense loads that would barely penetrate a sheet of 3/4" particle board. I have loaded up 350 grain hard cast bullets that will shoot completely through several inches of plywood. It is more than capable of doing the job on man or beast with the right load.

The 45 Colt will hit with plenty of power for sure, however if that were my only weapon and I was unable to afford another, I would sell it and buy a modern design.

I wouldn't. Sell it, I mean. I'd work to get the money for another more modern SD pistol, sure, but unless I lived in a situation where I expected to be immediately at risk, I'd just keep the .45 Colt and get something else to go with it.

When I got around to buying my own pistols, I got a .45 auto, first. The second pistol I ever bought was a Ruger Blackhawk .45 convertible. 40 years ago next year. Its my favorite revolver, overall.

I have several Ruger Single Actions and Sigs and Colt acp's.
I also have the Uberti El Patron .45LC Its smooth action and fast handling make for a great carry, personal protection weapon. I would not feel slighted armed thusly unless, I was headed to the OK Corral.

The Famous FBI Miami shoot out, where a 9mm bullet, that met all the penetration requirements, "failed" to stop the bad guy immediately. It did cause a lethal wound, but stopped just short of reaching a point which would have incapacitated the bad guy right then.

Unless I’m mistaken, those penetration standards weren’t established until after the 1986 shootout. So I don’t think the Winchester Silvertip did meet the penetration standards. My understanding was those penetration standards came out as a result of that situation.

https://www.pewpewtactical.com/fbi-ammo-test-protocol/

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the penetration standards now, came about (in part, at least) as a result of the Miami shootout. There were standards before, but I expect you'll have a tough time finding them, as they've been superseded for a long time now.

Remember, you're talking about the FBI... they had standards, and ammunition met them, or it wasn't authorized for use.

To be a bit more clear, the 9mm load met all the FBI standards at the time....(1986)

Unless I’m mistaken, those penetration standards weren’t established until after the 1986 shootout. So I don’t think the Winchester Silvertip did meet the penetration standards.
As nearly as I can tell from the autopsy information I could find, it met the NEW standards that the FBI later established as a result of the shootout.

Penetration into the chest wasn't as deep as desired, but that wasn't because of the bullet's failure to perform as intended. It was because it went through several inches of upper arm on an angle before exiting and then entering the chest from the side.
SO, I believe that a bullet that does not have the capability of complete penetration cannot be fully relied on to have enough penetration for all possible situations.
Don't assume that the caliber determines the penetration. There are certainly .45Colt self-defense loadings out there that penetrate about the same as 9mm SD loadings. That's because as long as you're talking about calibers of 9mm or above all self-defense ammunition tends to be tailored for about the same level of penetration regardless of caliber.

For example, two out of the four .45Colt self-defense loadings tested here penetrated 14".

https://www.gun-tests.com/ammo/personal-defense-45-colt-loads-some-are-sedate-others-sizzle-2/

the penetration standards now, came about (in part, at least) as a result of the Miami shootout. There were standards before, but I expect you'll have a tough time finding them, as they've been superseded for a long time now.

Remember, you're talking about the FBI... they had standards, and ammunition met them, or it wasn't authorized for use.

To be a bit more clear, the 9mm load met all the FBI standards at the time....(1986)

Fair enough, I just think when talking about FBI standards it’s important to distinguish between the tests now and the tests before the shootout. From what I can gather the tests now are more rigorous. Per John maybe that wouldn’t have changed the end result, but again if someone else is reading this thread I think it’s worth sharing how those tests have evolved. The article I shared also details the tests themselves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Worked well enough at the O.K.Corral. Should work effectively on today’s accostive street vermin.

The real question is choice of platform. An Italian-made single-action “cowboy gun” is a range toy. :rolleyes:

For a serious EDC wheelgun in .45 Colt, I’d track down a 4” S&W M25-5 in decent condition.

Last edited:
Back