45 Colt

deepforest27

Inactive
Well, after reading and researching reams of stuff on various handguns and hunting, I've decided on buying a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt. I'll get less recoil and slightly more knockout power than with the .44. I wanted to hear from others who might have the same or similar rig and your experiences with it.
Thanks...

Good choice! The only thing that I would add is in order for 45 Colt to match the performance of 44 Magnum, the Colt must be hand loaded. And, since the pressures are exceeding recommended maximums, that it be done with extreme caution. I would even venture to say that hand loading at those levels is only for the most seasoned hand loaders. Be careful.

Robert

deepforest,
Cor-Bon has a 300 grn @ 1300 fps that should be quite a 'pounder' for your new Ruger-great gun. try www.cor-bon.com
They also have a 265 at slightly higher speeds.
good luck!

My first duty gun was a S&W 25-5 in .45 Colt. My agency still issues factory ammo for them (and boy do I take advantage). I really love this round and I also have a Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt as well as a .454 Casull (.45 Colt Magnum). The Ruger is a great piece and should provide you with years of trouble free operation. If you are planning on using the stout hunting loads for this gun I would have it fitted with a five shot cylinder to better handle the pressures of these loads. Good Luck, great choice. I have several .44 Mags (and even a 41), but I prefer the 45 Colt to all of them.

------------------

Yes a five shot cylinder would be great just have it tighted up as all the factory cylinders are oversized and stretch the brass excessivly. The colt can do all the 44 can and with less pressure, in a properly constructed pistol.

I like them to, and will buy some carbide dies from sinclair in the future, as I am still recovering from the weapon and mag ban out here in kali.

A good sight to see how bad ass the 45COLT can be in sixgunner.com go to john linebaugh site and read away. Especially how impressive the ruger frame strength is. From what I remember the difference between five and six shot cylindeers is about 100fps.

Good luck and have fun.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by nyeti:
My first duty gun was a S&W 25-5 in .45 Colt. My agency still issues factory ammo for them (and boy do I take advantage). I really love this round and I also have a Ruger Bisley in .45 Colt as well as a .454 Casull (.45 Colt Magnum). The Ruger is a great piece and should provide you with years of trouble free operation. If you are planning on using the stout hunting loads for this gun I would have it fitted with a five shot cylinder to better handle the pressures of these loads. Good Luck, great choice. I have several .44 Mags (and even a 41), but I prefer the 45 Colt to all of them.
[/quote]
sir: I was going to ask you a ? via eMail but yours is not listed.Would u respond via my eMail? TXS dewey

I've got a Bisley Vaquero and a Blackhawk convertable. The .45 Colt is a great round. I've tried a few different loads and it seems like every one of them is accurate.

I did add some Bisley parts to my Blackhawk to help take the sting out of shooting warmish loads though.

Good Luck...

Joe

------------------
Go NRA

My son collected his deer last year with a Ruger 45LC. It did a helluva fine job. He used a 250 gr. XTP. The bullet destroyed the shoulder and lungs but flattened badly. I would use a bullet with a partition to prevent excessive flattening when large bone is encountered. The deer acted like someone had hit him with a baseball bat before he fell. Email me to see a pic.

Deepforest-Have a ruger single action 45 colt and like it a lot. Would have one suggestion when shopping for one, take along some calipers and measure the cylinder throats and web between the cylinders. Some older Rugers had excessive measurements =.454 and larger, while some newer ones have down to .449. Also try to find one with most uniform web thickness. Would encourage you to look at as many different individual pistols as you can. While some gun shop owners may look at you a little strange, most will let you take measurements. The rugers are extremely strong guns, but the examples have experienced didn't have consistent manufacturing tolerances.

I do love the .45 Colt! But, this cartridge is really at its best if you reload. You can load anything from light (185gr) .45acp bullets up to some monster 300+gr hunting loads. I believe it is the most versatile big bore out there. Truth is you don't need those magnum level loads for ordinary hunting at reasonable ranges. I played with them for a while and decided against them. The only hot load I still use is a 300 gr flat point at 1000fps. This is really more of a +P load than a magnum. But, it is nice to know that all that power is avalible if you should ever want it.
The Ruger is a great gun as it will handle the hot loads without any problems. I prefer the Bisley version as the grip shape seems to handle recoil better.
Here's a little trick I use for checking chamber throats. Drop a cast lead bullet through the chamber. I should just hang up in the throat. If it falls through easily, pass on that gun as it will be inacurrate.
Buy the .45. If you don't reload, start! You won't regret it.

[This message has been edited by Grayfox (edited January 07, 2000).]

Back