45 colt woods gun, blackhawk or redhawk?

bullfrog99

for woods gun to be used for hunting and defense, should i go with the redhawk, or the blackhawk? the blackhawk is about 10 ounces lighter, but would it pay off to get the double action? what's your oppinion

Single action makes for a poor defensive gun in most any situation. If the gun cannot be operated with one hand, it becomes a handicap in a close encounter. Same goes for automatics.

Robert

45COLT BLACKHAWK OR REDHAWK

I'll come down firmly on the side of the BLACKHAWK with the 4 5/8" barrel. IN 45 THIS IS IN ALL PROBABILITY THE BEST OUTDOORSMAN'S SIDEARM AVAILABLE. It is relatively lightweight, east to carry in a TOM 3 P holster, is a natural pointing sixgun, and easily managable with one hand. The REDHAWK is clunky handling and points like a soupcan on comparison.[ yep, own both. ] The BLACKHAWK is also available with the extra 45ACP cylinder and that is an extra beyond comparison worth twice what it costs. Most BLACKHAWKS are x-ring accurate with both cylinders. The DA vs SA is not a valid argument in an outdoorsman's sidearm if you know how to shoot and train yourself to handle the SA sixgun and I don't care if the target is a 2-legged or a 4-legged varmint. I know of one western SHERIFF'S office who's issue gun is the RUGER BLACKHAWK 45COLT. Matter of fact, I know numerous western peace officers who carry a SA sixgun every day and I also know not a one of them has EVER lost a gunfight. TM

Bullfrog: I'd get the Bisley version of the Blackhawk. Mine shoots nice 1.5" groups with 250gr hardcast bullets and 9 grains of Unique. I replaced the factory rear sight with one made by Bowen Classic Arms Corp. for about $65. I really like the grip shape and lower hammer spur.

Put a Millett orange-ramp front blade and Pachmayr Decelerators on my Redhawks; use the 44 version (own 5.5" versions in 41, 44, and 45) for IPSC/USPSA (don't have enough speedloaders yet for the other two)(Thank you Milt Sparks).

I suggest the Redhawk, in stainless, with the short tube. The 45 Colt version is extremely strong, and delivers 300g'ers at 1309fps, and 335g'ers at 1170fps, with more (at least in my guns) available.

Blackhawk!!!

Count (or recount - I live in Florida) another vote for Blackhawk for all the above reason, plus one more - they are so darn much fun to just shoot for fun. :) Dennis

Terry Murbach got it right!!!

I know my Blackhawk convertible is the most versitile handgun I own. Only thing it need was to be "Bisleyized" to make it almost perfect.

Good Luck...

Joe

The Bisley grip/frame shape is made to stop the slippage associated with the Colt SAA type of grip style ( called plowshare -sp?- by some). Works great! And IF you get a single action then you should get this shape so you can shoot more than a few rounds with out adjusting your grip.

I shot a Vaqerio -sp?- in bisley style and loved it HOWEVER it was way too hard/slow to reload ( compared to some other saa types...at least for me) The redhawk in .45 colt that I own may be as bit clunky but it is extreemly accurate and fun to shoot. My advice is to shoot both before you buy if at all possible.

Which ever one you get, dont fret, practice well, and you wont regret. ( rhymes curtosy of J.J.).

peace
Izzy

Back