45 colt problem

KEYBEAR

45 Colt Use Unique 8.5gr (Start Load ) alot of blow back on the case went to 9gr with Unique still blow back (200 gr flat nose). Do i need a different powder ?

45 Colt Use Unique 8.5gr (Start Load ) alot of blow back on the case went to 9gr with Unique still blow back (200 gr flat nose). Do i need a different powder ?
Might be a little light. I use those loads with 250gr cast lead SWC and have very little blowby.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

By blow back I'm assuming you mean you are getting carbon burn marks on the outside of the case. That's the nature of the beast with Unique due to the low pressure generated, and why I rarely use it. You will be much better served with a faster burn rate powder such as Red Dot, Bullseye, 700-X, etc. for mild to moderate loads.

Don

USSR I understand I use a Lot of Unique maybe 10/12lb a year . This is a new to me Ruger 45 Colt None of the 44Mag loads do this 240gr cast bullets brass is very clean after firing . Thinking more powder or heaver bullet or both .

.45 Colt problems

I used your Unique load with a 200gr RNFP a lot and had the same issues. Caution: Midrange or soft powder loads gave erratic performance because of excessive case volume. Cured all of this by going to Titegroup which was developed expecialy for the lighter loadings in large cases. Also; as noted above, Unique gives me the same fouling issues you have in .45 ACP loads. I like it because it is easy to find, it's versatile, and it works. Good luck -

Loaded some Unique at 9.2 gr. With the 200 gr. Cast Bullets . Blow back is not as bad but still not the best . I may Try Titegroup THANKS

I've used only Unique in .45 Colt or over 30 years. 250gr SWC, 10gr Unique, just hits 1100fps from my 7.5" Blackhawk.

Its old, its dirty, and it smokes..like ME! :D:rolleyes:

It isn't "low pressure" that smoke stains the case (though low pressure will do it, too) with Unique its a pressure/time thing. Peak pressure is plenty high enough to seal the brass to the cylinder, BUT some gas can "get loose" and blow back just before the case seals.

A faster burning powder with a sharper pressure curve can cure that, if its a problem for you. It isn't, for me.

For the .45 Colt, the 200gr is pretty light, its possible the bullet is leaving the case before full obturation is obtained. A heavier bullet (250gr) would likely reduce or eliminate the problem.

With a 200 gr. coated bullet I use 6½ to 7 grains of 700X or 7½ to 8 grains of HP38 for a nice target and plinking load. Easy shooting and very accurate.

A faster burning powder with a sharper pressure curve can cure that, if its a problem for you. It isn't, for me.

For the .45 Colt, the 200gr is pretty light, its possible the bullet is leaving the case before full obduration is obtained. A heavier bullet (250gr) would likely reduce or eliminate the problem.
I agree with both statements. When using Unque, I load 8.5g Unique under 250g RNFP. Never tried any lighter bullet in the years I've shot .45 Colt. I currently use 7.0g Green Dot under 250g RNFP for my 'easy' shooting range load.

I loaded 50 rounds of 200gr. with 9gr. of Unique and shot them yesterday .
The load shot very well and still the brass is a mess but not as bad .
Lesson Learned I need to do with 255gr. lead and maybe a different powder .

I edited it to 9 so a newbie doesn't pick up on it.

Obturation of cylinder throats in a 45 Colt revolver shooting within SAAMI pressures will not occur using hard cast bullets. With the common BHN 16 bullets, you need almost 23,000 psi for the bullet to start to upset outward in diameter. BHN 12 needs about 16,800 psi to upset. For 12,000 psi to cause obturation, you need a BHN that does not exceed 8.5. So, switching to softer bullets, perhaps swaged bullets, will allow upset to stop gas from escaping forward, which slows the build-up of pressure. But if your bore is rough, the soft bullets can lead badly. Without soft bullets, you will have to wait for the bullet to reach the throat to obturate the bore by virtue of its diameter being greater than the groove diameter of the barrel since the harder bullet won't upset.

I would try the same load, but use a magnum primer. .45 Colt is a very large case capacity and 7 to 9 grains of Unique doesn't fill it ideally, so there's a lot of air. The magnum primer will help ignite more of the powder.

I completely disagree with using Magnum primers. Unique is a dirty powder, so try Power Pistol. I don't mind dirty with the performance and comfort of 10gr of Unique under 280gr RCBS SWC. 1.5" groups and blows through hogs, at any angle, to 40 yards.

Anybody tried American Select powder in .45 Colt? I've only used it in .38 Specials but it is very clean there, especially with plated bullets. It's a double-base powder but has very little nitroglycerin. Burn rate is a little faster than Unique.

I have loaded 7.5 grains of Unique in the .45 Colt behind a 225 gr. lead bullet for years in both the Blackhawk and S&W revolvers. Nice low recoil load and quite accurate in my revolvers.

I do get a little blowback at the first 1/3 of the case but does not seem to cause any trouble. I've loaded cases like that at least 6 times without cleaning and they work just fine. I have cleaned some cases to perfect shine (wet tumble with SS pins) and find no difference in performance although they are prettier.

Needless to say, I like Unique as a .45 Colt powder for mild to medium power loads. For full power super loads I have a Bowen 5-shot .45 Colt based on the Ruger Red Hawk frame. I don't use Unique in that one.:D

7.5 gr under a 255 SWC (both bare lead and coated) has been an accurate and clean burning load in three different 45 Colts. I'd say it's closer to Green Dot than Unique for burn rate.

I do not use Coated Bullets in the 45 Colt . I do use coated in my 44Mags and like them a lot . The Lead Bullets tells me it is a 45 Colt and its ok .
At this time i will not be shooting much as i have 12 stiches in the right hand .
Skin Cancer

I have a Taylor/Uberti model 1873 in .45 Colt that I absolutely love to shoot. I'm using Missouri Bullet Co. Keith-style 255gr BRN 18 cast bullets with 5.5gr Trail Boss and it is fantastic.

I also fired a 215gr cast from my Ruger Super Redhawk .44 MAg with Unique powder and there was so much smoke I thought I used Black Powder in it!!!

Back