45 colt mountain gun favorite loads?

bullfrog99

I have been playing with reloads for my 625 mountain gun in 45 colt, I was wondering if anyone knows how hot is too hot in the mountain gun. Does anyone have a good whitetail deer load for the mountain gun? What about a good accurate plinking load?

check out the COrbon hunting loads

I ssent them e-mail regarding the suitability of their hot .45lc hunting loads for the S&W, and they told me they could be safely fired in the gun. I think I also asked S&W and they told me the same thing. This would give you a general idea of some hot safe bullet size/velocity combos.

Suggest for plinking a 240g lead bullet over some Hodgdon Universal Clays (7.5g), around 850-900fps. Clean, accurate, easy to make.

For deer, 300g XTP-HP over W296, or use the CorBon loads.

For target shooting/plinking I've had good luck with a 200 grain Rainier SWC and 7.2 grains Bullseye.

Good Luck...

Joe

John Linebaugh, the big-bore guru, says that the 625 in .45 Colt is safe to 80% of the 40,000 psi of the .44 Magnum Model 629. Because of design weaknesses, Linebaugh considers 32,000 psi to be ABSOLUTE MAXIMUM for this gun and prefers to hold his personal loads to 5% under those listed loads for approximately 25,000 psi.

Given that you're reloading, and in addition to the above suggestions, go to http://www.beartoothbullets.com and ask Marshall Stanton, the owner (and the mfg of some of the best hard cast bullets out there), your questions. He'll give you some straight scoop, too.

Good luck. J.B.

just an FYI for you 45 colt mountain gun owners, buffalo bore just got back with me, and they stated that all there rounds in the heavy 45 colt selection are safe in the smith, however they will cause quick loosing if not used sparingly. probably a "bear defense" proposition only, using light loads for everything else.

Back