45 colt loads for deer

klh8

Hi Fellas.Well we are having an extra antlerless deer season here in my state around Christmas.
I am thinking about taking out my 45 colt contender and give it a try.
Could someone out there give me some good ideas on some factory loads to use on deer?
Also,what would be the max. range with the factory loadings?
I have a 1.5 power scope on my contender.
Thanks a bunch
Paul

Well, a Contender can handle higher pressures than a Black Hawk, et al; the latter is much stronger than an old Frontier.

In other words, a lot of factory ammo is loaded "lite".

Any major manufacturer's 250-grain bullet, if marked for the Ruger, etc. Or, one of the specialty houses that caters to such as the Contender.

Art

Try corbons website. They have some fairly stout loads for the 45 colt. Buffalobore also sells heavy 45 colts, but you probably dont need a 325 grain bullet at 1300+fps for whitetails.

A favorite load for my Ruger SA guns has long been a 250 grain JHP over a lot of Blue Dot. In my 5 inch Ruger, it gives 1400fps, and works well on hogs. Never shot a deer with the load. Most likely would do the job on a deer.

As an old Elmer Keith fan, if you're going to reload your ammo, I vote for a 250 grain Keith SWC backed up by 18.5 grains of 2400. This load is a little warm for Colt's and thier clones but fine in the stouter revolvers like the Ruger. Be advised that cast bullets nearly always make full penetration on deer sized game and you may prefer an expanding bullet that may not pass completly through.

Don in Ohio

Hey Don,Ijust loaded and tested a load today close to that load you mentioned.Out of the speer #10 manual,I loaded 18.7gr of 2400 powder pushing the 250gr hornady XTP.
At 25 yards,I had 3 shots touching with 1 dad-gum flyer about 2 inches away.I have a 1.5 power scope on my contender and this helped.Muzzle velocity with this load is 1201fps.Should kill a deer.
Not to familar with loading straight walled cases.Should the bullets be crimped??
I did not crimp them being I was shooting out of my single shot pistol but I read if you want uniformed ignition you should crimp the bullets.

From what I've seen and read crimping seems to help with ignition and helps with uniformity. Weird things happen when you don't crimp W296 loads.

What's the deal on the extra antlerless season? We can hunt Christmas day and the two days after? Gotta carry a dadgummed attorney with you to figure out our hunting laws:confused:

Rick

Yeah Rick,another antlerless season.My understanding it is 12/25 through 12/28.I am going out probably in the afternoon on the 25th and Thurs the 26th.Gonna check with the state anyway to see how long the season is for sure.
Thanks for the reply and if you go out next week,good luck
:)

Back