45 colt for hunting Whitetails

bucksnort13

I was out shooting my rifles and pistols the other day getting ready for deer season in wisconsin and I had a problem. I was going to take a 303 enfield I had bought hunting but at one hundred yards It shoots 12 inches high this is a problem for me because my usual shots are under one hundred yards I also had a lot of trouble with getting the rounds to feed out of the magazine. I do however have a brand new uberti 1873 in 45 colt that I was shooting and its dead on at one hundred so now I am considering it for hunting. My big question is should I stick with the 303 or use the 45 colt with some factory hunting loads.

Thanks

I would consider it an honor and a privilege to "blood" an 1873. That .45 Colt was designed to kill horses. I don't know how many they allow you to harvest-maybe one per gun or alternate days?

You probably need a magazine for the enfield. The one I owned worked fine after I tweaked the magazine a bit... I actually only needed to squeeze the mag in a vise a little bit.
Depending on the sites you may be able to notch the rear sight a little deeper.

On to the colt .45. If your gun can handle it, buffalo bore ammo is pretty potent.

"...stick with the 303..." Not if it's shooting 12" high at 100. Something is horribly wrong with it. Might be the sights, bedding or something else. And check the headspace before you shoot it.
Bambi isn't armoured. A .45 Colt will do nicely if it shoots well enough.

Thanks guys I was feeling the same way on taking my uberti 1873 but my dad he was the one giving me some doubt on taking it he did not think it was going to have enough power. I feel more comfortable taking it over the 303 I have been trying to work on it but as long as the 45 will knock em dead that is all that matters to me.

There is no doubt in my mind that the 45 Colt will work just fine. My dad carries a Circuit Judge loaded up with some of my handloads just for hogs. Works like a champ. If you're comfortable with the Colt, take it. Just be mindful of your yardage. The Colt round will drop like a brick in a hurry if you haven't found that out yet.

I was going to take a 303 enfield I had bought hunting but at one hundred yards It shoots 12 inches high

I'm not very familiar with these, but does it not have adjustable sights or are they bottomed out and you are still high?

The rear sight on mine is a peep sight that is a 300 yard sight on one side and filps to 600 yards. I wish I could adjust it and I am really not wanting to change the sight the rifle is all original. I tried holding the front sight lower in the peep and it does help but my fear is that in the heat of the moment I will have a deer in front of me and forget to hold low and I always try to make sure that the rifle I am taking is something I am comfortable with.

Back