.45 Colt and 2400?

cdoc42

A friend came into some reloading equipment as a result of a friend of his passing away. He can't use the included 100 rounds of .45 Colt and he gave them to me.

The data reveals a 255 cast bullet (Keith-style), CCI-350 primers, and 17.6gr of 2400.

I cannot find any data other than:

Hornady book that lists 2400 with a 200gr cast bullet, a Winchester Large RIFLE primer and a max load of 14.6gr of 2400 at 1000 fps

Speer book: 225gr JHP Max 14.8gr of 2400 at 912 fps, Mag LP primer

Speer book, for Ruger and Contender only: 225gr JHP, max of 19.0gr of 2400 with LP mag primer at 1259fps.

I assume the cartridges I received are useful only in Ruger and Thompson Contender? I would appreciate any opinions.

Speer #9 Manual (1974)
Ruger and Contender only
250gr swc CCI 350 primer
17.7gr 2400 max load

Velocity 1200fps

Test gun, Ruger Blackhawk 7.5" barrel.

So, yes, if those loads are what they say they are, they should only be shot from a Blackhawk or a Contender and NOT used in a Colt SAA or clone.

Safest thing is pull down the ammo, toss the powder and reuse the brass and bullets with loads you develop in your gun.

Thanks, 44 AMP, that provides comfort that the recipe does exist. I have a Contender with a 10-inch .45/.410 barrel, so it will be more convenient to shoot them off rather than dismantling. I'll pull a few just to double-check the load but they look well-made.

250gr @ 1200fps+ out of a Contender...HANG ON TO IT!! :D

That's the level of load that may make you consider Pachmayr grips, if you don't have them already. Despite being larger and longer, Contenders aren't heavier than large frame revolvers, and with some barrels, they are lighter.

I have the 10" 45/410 though I don't shoot loads that heavy in it. I also have a 10" octagon .44Mag barrel, and others. First time I fired that .44Mag it jumped up so much I said a bad word out loud at the range..:eek::o

the .45 barrel is a couple ounces heavier, but its still going to buck with that level load, so be prepared. You don't need a death grip on the gun, just enough control that it won't hit you in the face. :rolleyes:

After that first shot, you'll know exactly what its going to do, and you can adjust accordingly.

Two friends of mine have had 10" TCs in 45-70 in the past. One with a muzzle brake and one without. Being a glutton for punishment or just plain dumb, I have shot both offhand. The one with the brake at least didn't crease my hand. If you need a demonstration of muzzle rise, I can recommend the combination, but would suggest the bulkier frame on the Encore for hand comfort.

As a practical matter, I would weigh all the cartridges and pull the ones with the most extreme weights to see if any of that difference is at all reflected by powder charge. I generally won't shoot others' reloads, but if you plan to, that's where I would start.

Thanks to both of you for your valuable advice. I will weigh the cartridges.

Thus far the heaviest recoil I was able to withstand without any surprise is a 300-gr bullet in my Freedom Arms .454 Casull. What has surprised me was the recoil from a friend's S&W 500, leaving my enthusiasm for more experience lacking after 3 shots.

"...to shoot them off rather than dismantling..." Um, no. One of the first rules of reloading is Never shoot other peoples reloads. You have no idea if the guy knew what he was doing or what powder he loaded 'em with.
Alliant's site gives data for a cast and jacketed 250 grain bullet. Uses a regular large pistol primer. CCI 300's are not magnum primers. Keeping in mind that Alliant's site is decidedly limited and all the loads there are Max loads. Reduce by 10% for the Start load.
The cartridges have nothing to do with the firearm used other than it be a .45 Colt. Those Ruger and Contender only loads are HOT loads not to be used in say a Colt SAA. No magnum primers needed for 2400 anyway.

I tested 18.0g 2400 with CCI standard, magnum, and WLP primers under 255g SWC in a large frame .45 Colt BH 5 1/2" because I am curious and 'want to know'. I liked the standard primer best and it was more consistent over my chronograph ... but still not consistent enough for me, so dropped the load. With the Magnum primer you'll be looking at around 1100fps out of 5 1/2" barrel.

As for 'Never' shoot someone else's reloads. That is a judgement call. Depends on who the someone else is. I've shot other people's reloads in my guns... Have no qualms about it.... If I know who that person is. There is plenty of times at the range we've swapped a few loads just to see how a certain load shoots in the other person's gun.

Somehow, over time, the sound advice of "not shooting unknown reloads" has turned into "Never shoot anyone else's reloads".

Not exactly the same thing.

Yet we trust unknown factory workers, and their machines, we believe they are less likely to screw up. Is it just faith, or is it because we know they have a license, insurance and an obligation to show up in court if they screw up??

IF its in a baggie with no other information on a gun show table, I'd only buy it if it was really cheap, and then I wouldn't shoot it, just break it down for the bullets and brass.

Boxed, nice printed labels, from an actual business with a name & address (and maybe even the load formula) is another matter.

Back in the late 80s I grew tired of the .357. I had a sweet Model 19 6" and had done a lot with it, but I had other guns and calibers (including but not limited to the .45 Colt) I was more interested in. Sold/traded the 19, I no longer remember which, and gave my brass to a buddy for his .357. Kept the dies (I always keep the dies, ya never know...:D)

This lasted almost a couple years, then I saw a new (unfired) Model 28 6" in the box at a show. This was "my Dad's .357" same gun he had when I was a kid, and the bug bit me again.
Was going to keep it unfired, but I just couldn't hold out more than 4 months, before I took it out and began shooting it. Turned out to be a bit better than my Dad's gun as it has the wide target hammer and trigger. It has since become my favorite .357 revolver.

Today I have 8 .357Magnums, SA, & DA revolvers, a couple of semi autos, and Contender barrels and a Marlin carbine.

I have 8 .45 Colts, as well, 2 Blackhawks, 5 Vaqueros and Contender barrels.

Whenever someone does one of those silly "If you could only have one" threads, I think about it, and my "one" always comes down to my Highway Patrolman or my first Blackhawk, in a serious tie.

.357 or .45 Colt both are outstanding in the right guns, and pretty good in other guns, though the .45 Colt in a Ruger new model Blackhawk has, I think, the greater potential of the two.

Originally posted by Unclenick:
As a practical matter, I would weigh all the cartridges and pull the ones with the most extreme weights to see if any of that difference is at all reflected by powder charge. I generally won't shoot others' reloads, but if you plan to, that's where I would start.
This is excellent advice. I generally don't shoot others reloads, but I have made exceptions when they were well done and documented/labeled and packaged credibly.
Even the big ammo producers don't always get it right. If they did, they would never have ammo recalls.

Last edited:
A friend came into some reloading equipment as a result of a friend of his passing away. He can't use the included 100 rounds of .45 Colt and he gave them to me.

The data reveals a 255 cast bullet (Keith-style), CCI-350 primers, and 17.6gr of 2400.

I cannot find any data other than:

Hornady book that lists 2400 with a 200gr cast bullet, a Winchester Large RIFLE primer and a max load of 14.6gr of 2400 at 1000 fps

Speer book: 225gr JHP Max 14.8gr of 2400 at 912 fps, Mag LP primer

Speer book, for Ruger and Contender only: 225gr JHP, max of 19.0gr of 2400 with LP mag primer at 1259fps.

I assume the cartridges I received are useful only in Ruger and Thompson Contender? I would appreciate any opinions.
I guess my first question is, how did the friend die?

I wouldn't shoot anyone's reloads; however, if you're a risk taker, go for it.

Lyman's shows 250 Gr JHP with a starting load of 17.5 of 2400 (none of their lead loads shows 2400)

My 1980 Hornady shows a 200 Gr Semi Wad cutter with a max load of 14.7

Same book has a 250 Gr JHP maxed out at 16.4 gr 2400.

Keeping in mind all the powder shuffling nothing lead wise in Lyman is as slow a burn as new 2400, I would think its up in the max area +.

I guess my first question is, how did the friend die?

Irrelevant

I wouldn't shoot anyone's reloads; however, if you're a risk taker, go for it.

From a random stranger , of course not.

Someone that looked to have a good load setup, good labeling, at worst I would pull one down and check the powder load.

OP is cross checking sources and data and getting some idea where the load stands. I would do the same and would shoot them.

I assume you think nothing of getting in your car and going to the store. Now there is a risky game!

When the weather cooperates I will test these loads after I check them out as suggested by Unclenick. If you never hear from me again, don't shoot anyone else's reloads.

Somehow, over time, the sound advice of "not shooting unknown reloads" has turned into "Never shoot anyone else's reloads".

Not exactly the same thing.
Yep.... Sort'a like the game of whispering a statement in a ear of the guy next to you, and and finally gets back to see who it changed. :) . A paranoid world we live in today.

Irrelevant

From a random stranger , of course not.

Someone that looked to have a good load setup, good labeling, at worst I would pull one down and check the powder load.

OP is cross checking sources and data and getting some idea where the load stands. I would do the same and would shoot them.

I assume you think nothing of getting in your car and going to the store. Now there is a risky game!
Yeah, I've never taken any risks. :rolleyes:

There IS some justification for being cautious. A very good best friend of mine was a fellow reloader; in fact, he started before I ever did. But as time went on, he paid less attention to details of everyday life, based on attained age. He passed away and his wife gave me the .44 Mags he loaded with the recipe I had provided. What troubled me, despite his adequate labeling, was, instead of 26gr of H110 with a 180gr JHP, his label said 16 gr. How, or why, he did this is beyond me. Of course, I pulled the bullets and weighed the charge, and, sure enough, it was 16 gr. Again, as Unclenick suggested, weigh them and pull those that don't agree with the labeled charge.

You have all justification for being cautious.

That does not rule out trying after due diligence on the thing to be cautious about.

I wold break one down as well, confirm powder if possible and the load in grs of that.

While you can't see all powder variants on a look of course, you can see if it matches 2400 (if you have some or there is some with the materials you go)

Due to lead bullet variations in weight as well as some case variations its hard to just weigh a case and know how accurate the fill is. Decent ball park but not precise.

It seems like stout load and not a norm for 2400 and cast, have to wonder what lead him to go there.

On another forum, we had a fellow who did some ammunition testing for government procurement for several agencies. He said that by the time you've fired many tens of thousands of rounds of commercial ammo, you see examples of every mistake any handloader might make. Hot rounds, squib rounds, rounds with primers seated backward, rounds with loose bullets. And then there are a few you never see with handloads: a case with no flash hole in the primer pocket, a case with no primer pocket, much less a primer, a seated bullet jacket with no core (the ultimate light-load). So, the general truism that only God is perfect remains unchallenged by the ammo industry. Still, in terms of odds, the machines are less likely to become forgetful or distracted from their jobs, making it less likely a commercial load will be seriously awry.

Back