45 Colt accuracy in Ruger SRH

mmb713

I'm thinking of getting an SRH in 454 Casull/45 Colt with 7.5" barrel. I have no interest in shooting anything stronger than 45 Colt Ruger-only loads so I would only be shooting my 45 Colt handloads through it. If Ruger offered the SRH in 45 Colt with fluted cylinder I would get that instead, but they don't, so 454 it is.

How well does the SRH shoot with 45 Colt? If it ain't accurate I ain't interested. I already have a 5.5" Blackhawk and a 4.2" Redhawk in 45 Colt so this will be a longer barreled gun for the collection and mostly for range duty.

It's hard to understand why forums get so many questions about how accurate any particular gun is.
Everyone knows the shooter is mostly what determines accuracy with any gun.
Ten to one sez it's going to be more accurate than most folks can shoot it.
Just a thought.

Fine 6 shooter. .454's or .45's are accurate out of this platform. I handload everything it eats.

454SRH-1.jpg

It's hard to understand why forums get so many questions about how accurate any particular gun is.
Ten to one sez it's going to be more accurate than most folks can shoot it.
Just a thought.

IMHO, The OP has a fair question. The 45LC cylinders that take 45acp show poor accuracy. Or so i read here. And the dual cylinder guns do fine. Again source, this forum. That leads me to suspect the full length brass with reduced bullet jump could, should or might do better. That is independent of the shooter.

As for the shooter, off hand you you bet, I am the limiting factor. Off a rest, I believe I can see what is going on. I am no big deal shooter. Numbers always help, but then you get more flames and feedback on the numbers than response to the question. For instance, I consider an 1" at 25 yards good for a 22pistol, even though I have one that will cut that in half. I consider 2" at 25 yards good for a revolver and 2" at 100 yards good for a contender pistol.

My Super Redhawk was darn painful to cock with a narrow sharp hammer and stiff factory spring. I installed a spring kit for a world of improvement. I also did some dry firing with snap caps and it smooth out nicely. The gun is built like a tank. Mine is a 44 and exceeds my accuracy requirements. Then I am not shooting shorter/special brass.

IMHO, The OP has a fair question. The 45LC cylinders that take 45acp show poor accuracy. Or so i read here. And the dual cylinder guns do fine. Again source, this forum. That leads me to suspect the full length brass with reduced bullet jump could, should or might do better. That is independent of the shooter.

My point exactly.

In my 23 years of handgun shooting and as many handguns owned I know this to be a fact. I was just wondering if the 454 SRH shoots 45 Colt as well as Casull, all else being equal. It's hard to understand why so many people on these forums put so much stock in people with high post counts. Just because someone has 9K+ posts doesn't mean all of their posts were helpful, insightful, or relevant.

Fine 6 shooter. .454's or .45's are accurate out of this platform. I handload everything it eats.

Thank you, gbran, for the helpful post. My 45 Colts, a Blackhawk and a Redhawk, have only fired my own handloads too. If I get an SRH it will too.

The 45LC cylinders that take 45acp show poor accuracy.
Wait a sec.
How did the subject get changed from .454 shooting .45 Colt to .45ACP?
Ain't that a different problem all together?
And it ain't the thread count that counts :), it's more than likely the experience.
And I have as much experience missing as anyone.
Been doing it longer.
23 years, I got ammo older than that. :)

Last edited:
Here is a pretty good write up on the subject and it sounds positive that things typically work out, but; you can not be certain. And, Maybe this does not answer the question, but; at least it explains what the question is and why the concern. FWIW, the 45 acp example is also mentioned and why that might be extrapolated to a concern. This is a valid topic, nothing new.

http://americanhandgunner.com/short-brass-in-long-chambers/

This brief write up fails to mention that revolvers have favorite loads just as rifles. Some long brass loads with certain bullets maybe in-accurate and another load in less than optimum length brass might shoot better. there are just so many variable in this crazy sport.

I love the Super Redhawk. It a kitty-cat (I got censored!) to shoot. You just dont want to carry it all day. You can mount a scope too.

PS. My oldest ammo is 45 or more years old. And it would be older, but; I could not afford to hoard ammo until I got out of school :)

To the OP: Ruger has historically had trouble with undersized cylinder throats in its SA guns in any of the .45 caliber chamberings. I had to have my NV's throats opened up to get any accuracy with cast, lead alloy bullets. Now whether this extends to their RH models is open to question. I'd check here by running a search regarding that issue. Rod

since the Op already has a 5.5" Blackhawk and a 4.2" Redhawk in 45 Colt, I assume he is happy with Ruger 45LC performance. Maybe he shoots jacketed bullets? Or maybe things changed? This does high light my passing comment about all the variables in this hobby.

Back