45 auto for grizzly?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Better than nothing I suppose

Depends on the size of the bear as well. Not all Grizzlies are 1,000 lb behemoths. If you can penetrate the brain I'm pretty sure it will do.

I don't have any experience with brown bears, but I think with proper shot placement it may do the job. I would think the trouble would come from trying to make a clean kill-shot on a huge bear intent on eating you.

45 auto for grizzly?

Let's say you get a 1911A1 5 inch .45 Auto.

Put in heavy springs and open the firing pin hole so you can use .45 SUPERS.

230 gr. FMJ at 1100 fps. And yes they do make that load. 230 gr FMJFP (flat point.)

And then you only fire if the Grizzly is within 5 yards.

Might work. Might not.

I'd also have a can of bear spray to go with it.

Deaf

Would you bet your life on it. I have personally seen a large brown bear take 11 .223 rounds from an ar15 before it stopped. I'll upper body and neck shots. Handguns are terrible at killing people, much less a large bear. I can post a video of a surgeon discussing handgun and rifle wounds and 6 out of 7 shootings are not fatal involving handguns. Now let's add

For comparison, many guides carry 12 gauge slug guns for unexpected encounters with the large, northern bears.
Unless the bears you might encounter are sensitive to loud noises, a larger shootin' iron might be better.

Wouldn't be my first choice... or the second.

I would not go in an area with dangerous bears unless I had to do it.

If I had to do it I am thinking a short 12 gauge auto with two slugs then topped off with 00 Buck.

If I to do it with a 45 auto I would use 230 FMJ for penetration and start praying. I mean before I left the house I would start praying.

Yep

And then you only fire if the Grizzly is within 5 yards.
If you are dealing with a charging grizzly, you don't have much time. Grizzlys have been clocked at 30 mph......simple math tells us that that is 14 yards a second. So you have a fast moving target and about 1/3 of a second to shoot at a very small part of it. The 1/3 of a second after that you are under the bear.
Pete

You might have a chance if you use the hottest 230gr hardball you can find
with a full auto Thompson and a 50rd drum magazine. The noise might at least scare him away.

Been done, 2008, IIRC the Bear started his charge from 35 yds out and by the time he got 25 yds closer, Bear took 8 rounds from Joshua McKim's 1911 Taurus.

Hardball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back