45 ammo

bulldogjjm

Inactive
Hello all
It has been a while since I was here and so i decided to sign up and see what was going on.

As my topic says i am interested in 45 ammo. As a graduation present for myself i bought a p-12 para. this is a great pistol that was new in box. the question is with the short barrel on this thing what kind of ammo is best. i know that it partially depends on the gun, but i want something halfway inexpensive for practice but powerful enough that i can carry the same stuff I train with. What i am currently using for starters is white pine golden saber ammo from a local gun shop. Is there any other stuff i should be considering remembering that i am on a students buget.
thank in advance:D

I would stick with 230 grain FMJ ammo from one of the big three, Remington(UMC), Blount(Speer, Federal), or Winchester. If you care to purchase JHP ammo for carry only, you should stick with a 230 gr. load from one of the manufacturers above.

If you don't reload...

CCI Blazer 230 gr. FMJ's. They are slightly warmish compared to most FMJ's, and they are quite accurate in my experience.

Denfoote, where do you get Wolf in 115 gr FMJ for .45 ACP? Also, what kind of gun do you fire it in? All I've found of Wolf .45 ACP is 230 gr. FMJ, and my Kimber didn't play well with it. I think it was because of the laquer coating.

Is the 115 gr 9mm? Ditto to the above questions, if you would. I would love to buy Wolf for the prices but my experience with it for .45 has kind of turned me off.

1) I have been using that "Lake City" (tm) ammo made in Hungary, 230 gr, FMJ, equivalent to U.S. GI. No problems.

2) A general note. I see folks say they practice with one ammo and use another kind on the street. Fine, and economical, but shoot enough of the carry ammo to make sure your gun works with it. I knew one case where a fellow "saved" his expensive carry ammo but then found out (fortunately not the hard way) that it would not function in his gun. That is the kind of surprise you don't need on the street.

Jim

Due to the very short barrel of the P12 not developing enough velocity, I would reccomend one of the premium 185 gr JHP +P. Especially if your P12 is an all steel version. The alloy is a handful with +P loads.

Well...

Federal's "HydraShok", CCI/Speer's "Gold Dot" and Remington's "Golden Saber" all have good reputations in .45 caliber.

For FMJ, buy the least expensive stuff you can get your hands on in bulk and practice, practice, practice.

Congrats on graduating whatever it is you graduated, by the way! :)

Bullet expansion is an iffy thing at normal handgun velocities, going with a lighter bullet +P load will only give you more muzzle flash and blast.

Stick with 230gr JHP bullets for adequate penetration, I prefer Federal Hydra-Shok.

I like COR-BON 45-165 out of short barrel guns. Still enough velocity to get expansion with no worry of over penetration!

Wolf 115gr

I think this was supposed to be 117gr Aguila Hi Power.
RANash,
when I lived in Ft. Worth, I'd go to Cheaper than Dirt to buy it. Not exactly cheap, but fun and fast. They have a website http://www.cheaperthandirt.com where you can order it. Out of my USP Match w/ 6" bbl, I chronoed it at ~1650fps. It's supposed to be able to penetrate .25" ballistic armor. Pretty potent stuff.

With any pistol (especially 45acp due to low velocity), shorter barrels mean lighter, faster bullets. I'm sorry, but 230gr moving at 700fps dosen't work as well as 200gr moving at 950fps (Speer GD 200gr+P). As to expansion, most rounds will expand as designed, but a round going too slow simply won't.

Well George, since the Marshall/Sanow stats say the 230gr Hydra-Shok is the best .45 load in short and long barrels, AND the Facklerites swear by the 230gr .45 bullet, I'll stick by my choice.

[Edited by Rex Feral on 01-20-2001 at 10:28 PM]

thanks for all the info.
I think I will try a little of ech kind and see what gets the best results. i want to start handloading but the cost to get started right now is too heavy compared to the cost of a few boxes of ammo.
thanks again

No other group of enthusiasts could give you such a diverse range of ammo selections...
Save perhaps Fishermen on the subject of bait and tackle.

Speer LAWMAN is my choice for FMJ loads.

I carry Remington 185gr. Golden Sabers (standard pressure) in my P12.

For a dual-purpose practice and carry load, consider CCI Blazer 200gr. JHPs. I would run at least 100 rounds through that pistol at the range before I carried it, however. The Blazers work fine in my P12, but it doesn't mean they will in yours.

Back