.45 ACP vs Desert Eagle .44 for purchase

gryphon

OK, this is my situation......

A local gun store is offering DE for $779 brand new, $200 down and the rest interest free for 6 months. I have heard some bad things about DEs regarding them being very picky about what they eat. I would consider using it for my home defense weapon if it was reliable, but I already have a 9mm and a .357 Mag. My other option would be to spend about $200 - $300 less and get a battle tested tried and true .45 ACP.

I want all my guns that I buy to be a practical useful purchase. If the DE is actually that picky, then I'm not sure that it would be the best thing for me to get. Any opinions on the statements above and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Mine is picky. If I feed it the cheap stuff like CCI Blazers, stovepipe jam city or failure to return to battery.
No problems with Starfires and Hydrashoks.

(Shaking head in disbelief)

You don't have a 1911. And you're wondering what to buy next. Think, man, think. Regards.

Go with the .45. Last weekend I stopped by a shop that had 13 Desert Eagles for sale in the used case.

Ummmm.....

Hmmmm.....

Don't know what to say.

Trying to be polite.

Let me just put it this way: I own a Glock 21 (because I happen to like them better than the 1911's but knew that I wanted a .45 ACP), and have never, ever, considered buying a Desert Eagle chambered for anything.

Hope it helps.

Springifiled long slide in .45 Super

Buy a Springfield long slide in .45 Super or a Kimber stainless and upgrade the recoil spring and you can have your 1911 with the power of a .41 mag when you want it.

I am not a big fan of the 1911 (here we go, pound the new guy with hate mail), I do own a DE in .50AE and will never sell it or trade it for anything! The only thing I can find wrong with them (Magnum Research) is their customer satisfaction, other than that, nothing. A fine piece of work! Also (alot of people don't know this) they are interchangable, all you need is one and you can make 10 different handguns by only changing the barrel and clip (and extractor to convert to .357 Mag.) and even that only takes basic knowlage of the gun (no smith)!
I don't know of any 1911 style .45's that can do that, do you? Look the darn things are made in Israel and if it's one thing those people know, it's death and distruction! Don't think so, just putt it on CNN for about 30 min.! They know their weapons.

My $.02 FWIW

I've never owned a DE, handled several at gun stores, but never felt the need to buy one. This could be because I could barely hold one, I thought they were pretty heavy, and since I've been blessed with small hands, very hard to get a grip on.

However, I do own a few 1911's including a Delta Elite. I've found 1911's much easier to grip and shoot. If you're looking for a little more power, I'd look around for a Delta Elite.

Well FWIW, I ownED a DE .50AE. It lasted for a couple of months before I got sick of it. Ammo is expensive and it's not very accurate. On the other hand, I have a couple of 1911's in my arsenal.

Now, their single shot .308... hmmm that's a different story but you're looking for a home defense gun.

Thanks for all the responses..........

I just wanetd to say thanks for all the responses. My mind has been made and I went with the 1911.....for now!

I may pick up a DE later in life when I am itching for another handgun and have some $$ to spend.

Later

Back