45 ACP cylinder for a New Frontier 45 Colt 3rd gen?

Lavan

My NF is 1964 vintage with the non removable cylinder bushing.
Gunsmith says he can fit it if I can find one.

Anyone know of any source. New or used is OK. Used only if not buggered up.

Ideally, you'd find a 44 Special cylinder to give your gunsmith plenty of meat to ream for the chambers. As it stands, though, those are rare, so it is more likely you can find a 45 Colt cylinder, and the gunsmith would have to sleeve it and then chamber the sleeving. It would be some close work, but doable. Also, I would chamber for 45 Auto Rim with minimum headspace, which is still compatible with 45 Auto cartridges and would have enough rim recess to use the thick-rimmed Auto Rim cases.

But before you go to the trouble, you might want to slug your barrel to see if it is 0.451–0.452 inches across the groove impressions. If it is bigger, you won't get good accuracy even with the cylinder you want, and I can't see chasing a horse you'll never be able to ride well.

Good observation on the ratchet. I'd think it would be more critical at the recoil shield clearance.
Looking more and more like I have to keep chasing 1911 brass. :(

The cylinder would have to be bored to accept the rim, or a like amount machined off the rear cylinder face.

probably not what you want to hear, but a Ruger Blackhawk .45 convertible will let you shoot .45acp all day long. Won't do the Auto Rim brass though.

Back