45 ACP conversion cylinders for 1860 army

the Black Spot

are they still making these drop in's for 1860 armies?
i know they make for 45 colt and s&w, but wondered if they still had them for 45 acp(cheaper to buy).
thanks in advance

Doesn't look like it. Buffalo Arms has one for a Uberti Remington but is advertised for cowboy loads only.

Just checked the Krist Convertor website and they only mention
.45 Schofield for the 1860.
But I do remember seeing 45 acp for something- might be 1858's
I thought about it but if one has to use only 45 ACP lead bullets I passed-
I use schofield in all my conversions, 45LC in the Ruger

black spot on wall ,by hoo flung poo

45 acp in a 1860 is blasphemy,cheaply done,and fun,try buffalo arms or able or dixie or r n d

Unless you were willing to restrict your ammo to lead bullets and very light charges, I wouldn't pursue this one too avidly IIWY. SAAMI standard .45 ACP loads operate at approx. 50% higher pressures than .45 Colt or .45 S&W (Schofield) do and, while modern repros are made of better steel than the originals, IMO that in and of itself doesn't render a 160 year-old design 50% stronger.

Personally, if it was going to be my hands, eyes, etc. behind any repro revolver of any caliber with a conversion cylinder installed I'd stick to moderate BP and/or sub-max Trail Boss loads only.

I just installed a Kirst .45 acp Conversion cylinder in a Uberti 1860 Army.
Grinding the loading port into the recoil shield was the biggest part of the job.
Haven't shot it yet.

Already done.
Measured required thickness, ground the head of a stainless phillips head sheet metal screw to match, cut off screw shaft and JB Weld in place at front of arbor hole. Mine needed 0.072".
This thing is strong enough for +P, and accuracy is amazing.
When it warms up, I'll do some chrono testing.

I'm now looking at converting an 1862 Pocket Police to .380 acp, but that isn't so simple.

i too want a conversion cylinder for my 1860 snubby. Taylors lists them as back order for the Howells, and said I could order one and it would ship when they got it. But he couldn't give me an approximate time frame. And I emailed Howells and they said they no longer make them? Or maybe they are only making them for Taylors.

A very long time ago I bought a cartridge conversion from Kenny Howells for a Pietta 1858 Remington clone. Fast forward a few years and Howells (R&D Gun Works) had sold the rights to Taylor's and Taylor's was the sole source for that type of conversion cylinder.

And then, some years after that, R&D had one again, but a slightly modified design that only held five rounds instead of six.

The Kirsts hold 5 rounds.

Yes, but the Kirst Konverter (for the 1858 Remington) is completely different from the Howells/R&D converter. The Kirst has a separate, non-rotating back plate with a single firing pin. The Howells/R&D (and thus the Taylor's) has a rotating back plate that indexes to the cylinder and turns with it, with a separate firing pin for each chamber.

i too want a conversion cylinder for my 1860 snubby. Taylors lists them as back order for the Howells, and said I could order one and it would ship when they got it. But he couldn't give me an approximate time frame. And I emailed Howells and they said they no longer make them? Or maybe they are only making them for Taylors.

Howell's website says they have a stainless one for Uberti for 245.00 but only one in stock. They have the stainless ones with a naval scene on backorder.

https://howellarms.com/product/uberti-stainless-1860-army-45lc-45-schofield/

Not my area of expertise, so I am curious, does installing a cartridge conversion cylinder in a cap & ball gun change its legal status?

Could doing so possibly be considered "manufacturing a firearm"??
(I know it shouldn't but the ATF lives in their own world)

Most of the definitions I've seen regarding muzzle loaders and various cartridge firing "curio & antiques" uses terms indicating the gun is only exempt from modern firearm regulation if it does not use cartridges readily available from commercial sources.

I am a bit curious if a conversion cylinder makes it a modern firearm, and how that would affect ownership purchase and sale in various localities. Fed law doesn't consider muzzle loaders to be firearms, but some states do.

Back