.45 ACP Carry Ammo

Status
Not open for further replies.

jnsn

What are people carrying in their .45? I currently use 230gr Fed Hydro-shoks but am thinking about switching to Triton or Pro-load. Comments?

Stick with FEDERAL 230 grain Hydra-shocks, in my humble opinion it is the best self defense hollow point out there, also like federal 230gr. FMJ ball ammo, it has its qualities... Practice with 230gr Sellier and Bellot FMJs it the best deal in $$$ and quality... Reloads...

------------------
SURE SHOT

[This message has been edited by James Montes (edited October 19, 1999).]

I like both the Fed. Hydro-shocks or Remington 230 grain Golden Sabers, both work well for me.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"

I'm real happy with Cor-Bon 230 gr. I also like the Talon's when they were commerically available, but the Cor-Bon's have been the carry load for the last 3 years.

In a standard Colt I like the Cor-Bon 200gr Speer Hollowpoint (the true "flying ashtray")

In a shorter barrel, like my Para Ordnance P-12, go with the lighter bullet. I like the Cor-Bon 185gr JHP

------------------
Knee deep in brass, still shootin fast!

230 grain truncated cone, (flat point), bullets on top of 6.5 grains of 231. You can't kill it if you can't penetrate it.

OB-1 Hornady loads the truncated cone, I believe, as does Federal. I do not advise carrying handloads as your primary self-defense load for liability and plain ole reliability purposes. Yes, I've been known to do it, too, but I don't advise it. :)

------------------
Will you, too, be one who stands in the gap?

Matt

I don't keep my HK USP .45 loaded (I have a Walther PP loaded in my nightstand), but I have Federal 230gr HydraShocks if I ever decide to keep it loaded.
For defense in the wilderness, I'll probably load Triton .45 Super 185gr. FMJ/FP ammo developed for Naval Special Warfare. I figure bears will be more reactive to deep penetration. The Triton .45 Super 230gr. HiVel may be better against bears...not sure.

[This message has been edited by Sambonator (edited October 20, 1999).]

As near as I can tell, there's little bad ammo for the 45 out there. My current GM shoots the 185 gr Silvertips best, so that's what I use.

Re handloads,I used to have a LW Commander for off duty long ago. The carry load was a Belding and Mull design SWC in front of 6.2 gr of Unique, a moderately fast target load with lots of moxie.

It is hard to go wrong with anything that starts out with a .45 diameter. I happen to like the GoldDot 230 gr. As Christopher said the old 200 gr. Speer "flying ashtray" is still hard to beat. For legal reasons you are probably better off carrying the same load the local LEs carry providing any of them use the .45.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back