45 acp brass too short

Linker

I have been using Winchester white box 230 grain fmjs. However when I resize them they are routinely .875 or .877 so they are too short. Is this normal for this brass. I recently ordered some from starline and their site lists it as long enough. I thought I would be able to load the Winchester but I obviously can't. Again, is this normal?

I load mixed brass including Winchester with no difficulties.
"Too short" is not likely unless you need matching brass and chamber for extreme accuracy.

I have been using Winchester white box 230 grain fmjs. However when I resize them they are routinely .875 or .877 so they are too short. Is this normal for this brass. I recently ordered some from starline and their site lists it as long enough. I thought I would be able to load the Winchester but I obviously can't. Again, is this normal?
Linker,

Have you tried measuring the cases before you size them? Do you have any of the original ammo left that you havent fired? you can use your calibers and measure the edges and you can see what the length of the brass case was when it left the factory, being shorter is ok just being too long is where you get into trouble,

I bet that those were shorter from the factory than 0.893 remember they are trying to fit from a glock to a 1911 and everything in between

I got to thinking about this, and off the top of my head, the only place I could come up with that is even remotely common where a too short case will possibly be a problem is an SA revolver.
(or if you're the kind of person who loads a round into the chamber and then shuts the slide on it...)

And SA revolvers firing semi auto pistol rounds aren't extremely common.

Generally speaking brass too short will still work, being held in place by the extractor in most semi autos, or clips in DA revolvers.

Also remember that no guns are designed to be used with out of spec (or reloaded) ammunition, despite the fact that many will function well with reloads or ammo that is not too much out of spec.

IF/when a case gets too short to fire, its done. Even if not cracked, its done. at least in the gun it won't fire in.

Too long can rapidly result in a possibly dangerous situation when fired. Too short almost never does.

Maybe this is over simplifying it, but I don’t think you have a problem until you say they won’t function properly in the gun. Load some up and give them a try. I can’t even remember the last time I measured any brass and all my 45 is range pick up.

In a way, your concern is valid…..Theoretically, if the firing pin does not reach the primer forcefully enough, it won’t fire. Chambers are 0.898” min and case spec is 0.898” max. Typically sized brass is short, even shorter than the 0.888” min. So,it may not headspace and fire reliably. Yet it always does.

This is because these semi-autos generally have 0.050” or so of firing pin protrusion. It makes up for the short case.

I do wonder if trimmed brass is more accurate??

45 acp brass length & accuracy

.498" is maximum. Minimum is -.010" or .488" The longer brass is more accurate at the 50 yard line. The firing makes it shorter, even after full length sizing.

Ordering brass of one brand and lot will improve accuracy when compared to range brass.

I have found the pressure to seat a 45 acp lead 200 gr swc can vari by 45 to well over 100 pounds. This was testing 5 different brass headstamps.

To answer the question, is it too short? If the rounds misfire, brass is to short. The case may headspace on the case mouth, if the extractor doesnt control it position in the chamber. My Colts GC inertia firing pin goes till it hits something. So all should fire?

My photo of my GC.
index.php

Linker,

You can avoid the whole issue by headspacing on your bullet. With cast bullets, this method produces the best accuracy and the least lead fouling. However, you are limited to doing it with bullet shapes that will still fit into your magazine and feed properly. I used it for match shooting with lead semi-wadcutters in my Goldcup for many years. Using your barrel as a gauge, just seat the bullet long enough that when you drop a loaded round in the chamber it stops when its head is flush with the back end of the barrel. Third from left, below.

attachment.php

Most of my 45 ACP brass is from Winchester White Box. 230gn FMJ, to be precise. I purchased three or four cases (loaded ammo - 10 boxes of 50) of it and have been reloading the brass for a few years now. Never had a problem. Never measured them either.

If they reliably fired from the factory, they can't be "too short".

Simply put. while it may be "out of spec", if it works, it's not too short.

It might not be the most accurate possible, but is that a practical consideration for you? How accurate is your gun (match gun?? service grade??) and how accurate are YOU, with it??

I've got my Dad's Govt Model, which was set up for target shooting in the late 60s, with 200gr swc's (and no sorting brass for length) it will put 5 shots in one hole at 25yds. From a bench, in MY hands.

Had a 1943 Reminton Rand GI gun, which would shoot about a 6in group at 25yds, no matter what ammo was used. Good enough for COM hits at close range, but not much else.

SO, I don't worry about .45acp brass length, unless, it doesn't feed, fire, and eject. Then, I change something....:D

45 acp brass gradually shortens by resizing it. Enough times and it is easy to see the brass being wider below where the sizing ring reaches. If this bothers you, or causes a problem with a very tight chamber, using a push though die can size the whole length of the case body and the case will likely regain most of it's stock length.

Back