45 ACP barrel slug using cerrosafe

mjm

I recently slugged the barrel of two Kimber 45 ACP's. I used cerrosafe alloy and followed the directions posted on Midway. Both slugs were removed within 15 minutes after pouring. After 1 hour they measured .454. It seems that .452 is a more common measurement.

I found another reference to heating the barrel prior to pouring. It seems that could produce different results.

What is the best practice?

Cerro safe shrinks at first, and then expands over time, at a specified rate.
No, I do not have it memorized.
I can look tomorrow at the shop, where I have the cerro safe instructions.
So, it will grow, and give ever larger measurements. I just don't remember how much.

Cerro safe shrinks slightly during initial cooling. It then expands to the chambers original size about one hour after cooling to room temperature. After cooling for about 200 hours, the chamber cast will expand about 0025" over actual chamber size.
This is from the directions.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to find some pure lead, cast a couple of slugs and then push them through the barrel.

I liked the idea of cerrosafe because I thought it would work good in a Model 94. If the cerrosafe slug diameters check with the lead slugs, I still have an easy solution for the Model 94.

Back