45 ACP/ 45 LC CCW REVOLVER

slab jockey

considering a 45 acp and/or 45 lc revolver for ccw. any suggestions? noticed the taurus 2 inch model in long colt. will modern 45 long colt revolvers shoot bullets of the same diameter as the 45 acp?

You might want to take a look at the Smith&Wesson mountain gun series. The Model 625 MG was made last year in .45 acp and is being made this year in .45 Colt. N frames are kind of big for concealed carry but if you dress accordingly it can be done. As far as I know all modern .45s use bullets of the same diameter.

The Smith would be a good carry gun if you really wnat a 45 wheel gun. Buy one from whoever takes over the bankrupt S&W company. If you can't wait until Smith goes under the Taurus will probably work. It is a light gun and has lots of jump if your loads are warmer than cowboy loads.
You do like recoil don't you?

I am dying to find a titanium 45ACP snubbie revolver. I know Taurus makes one in 45LC, but I much favor the 45ACP.

You could always take a .45 LC model and have an extra cylinder fitted to the weapon cut specially for moon clips. That way you would be able to utilize the .45 ACP. Perhaps with all the new weapons for concealed carry being produced, it might spur a manufacturer to produce .45 Auto Rimmed in enough quantities to supply the demand for new weapons.

Good Shooting
RED

Is it me, or is there a problem here?

To get six shots in either of the .45s, you need an N-Frame or whatever the Taurus equivelent is. To get five shots, you're looking at about L-Frame or similar, right?

Well in N-Frame size class, both Taurus and S&W can set you up with eight rounds of .357. They also do the L-Frame in 7 rounds of .357.

So in either case, you get two extra rounds in .357 for the same size class.

Is five rounds of .45 (LC or ACP) really better than seven .357s?!? I personally do NOT think so.

I don't see the point. The same basic problem also hits the .44Spl.

Once you hit the .44Mag, now you get an advantage in terms of raw performance. And if the gun can take it, .45LC+P can equal or exceed the .44Mag, that's a given, but in the smaller defensive pieces like we're talking about, such as a five-round snubbie Taurus .45LC, you'd have to be crazy to load those anyways.

And as a bonus, .38spl practice fodder is the cheapest centerfire practice ammo available if you're not a reloader.

So why not stick with .357?

Jim

The advantage to a 45ACP wheelgun is...

A titanium snubbie in 45ACP would make a nice backup when carrying a 1911 as your primary. Plus, my department does not allow the carry of magnum rounds, so why not go with a larger diameter to compensate?

HIGHLY RECOMMEND actually SHOOTING one of those lightweight bigbores before laying out the cash, unless you plan to carry it only.

Who here can spell "recoil ruining my wrist-joint"?

I have to admit to the temptation to shell out 4 to 5 hundred dollars on a real light big bore revolver. There is nothing like a pumpkin roller with its huge slugs.
However, I fail to see what I could/would do with 5 rounds of .44 or .45 ammo that I could not do with 6 to 8 rounds of .357. Add to that the steady supply of cheap used .38/.357 stainless and blued revolvers still out there on the trade-in market. This is why I still do not have a large bore exotic alloy revolver in my safe or my holster. Every time I go to buy one there are all those nice used 681's and Speed Sixes and Model 10's laying there wanting to go home with me.

Let's see good .357/38 revolver for $150.00 to $250.00 or exotic alloy .45, .44, .41 mag for $500.00 plus. HUMMMM

I still admit lusting after a titanium .41 magnum with coco bolo custom grips and a front night sight. OOOOHHHH makes my liver quiver!!!

I've been down this road before ...

and can say having a big-bore 5-shooter is not the capacity-handicap some make it out to be. If you like a gun, you'll shoot it more often, and with accuracy capacity becomes irrelevant. Sheesh, people are getting way too "tactical" around here anymore.

First of all, I won't begrudge the .357 mag., it's a porven stopper and 7 or 8 rounds of it would be pretty darn comforting. However, the .357 ain't for everyone ... such as those who don't like fierce muzzle blast and excess noise when you touch one off.

Theoretically, the big-bore revolver won't have the same bad manners upon firing. I say "theoretically" because my 696 .44 Spec. (which I just sold tonight, BTW) boomed like a cannon with anything approaching a hot defense load, and was ALMOST as bad as a .357. I don't remember it having the chest-thumping muzzle-blast of a .357, though. But it sure was loud.

So to me, the biggest reasons to turn to a big-bore include already being set up to reload for that caliber for other guns and the alleged intimidation factor you have when you have to pull it (which is worth it if it solves the situation without pulling the trigger).

My .44 spec. was fun and accurate, especially with reduced "softball" lead reloads, and was far more fun to play with than my .38. IMHO, even these fairly light target loads have some stopping power, whereas light practice .38's shouldn't be used outside of that arena. I guess I see the big-bore more "versatile".

Heck, I don't care about what they say regarding the .357 - having seen game run off after being shot with them repeatedly, I'm not all that impressed, and just FEEL more confident with a pumpkin-flinger. It's a totally emotional phenomena, but in my heart I'll always want to go big-bore.
One word of advice - my 696 was a heavy gun with a heavy lug on the barrel and my impression upon firing it always was that "this is JUST ENOUGH weight for a big-bore", and I wouldn't want to shoot it in any lighter gun. I'd pass on the Taurus's for that reason alone - and since the porting is supposed to bleed even more velocity off of the already tame velocities inherent.

So why'd I sell my 696?

Only because I wanted a .45 subcompact, and since I load for .45 FAR more frequently (having several .45's already) than .44 spec., which makes getting components for .44 a real hassle. Also, for concealment, I love the 1911's flatness against my body. Other than that, I felt totally safe packing the "short-barrelled bad .44" as Marty Robbins would call it.

A mid-framed 5-shooter in .45 ACP with a 5-6" barrel would make a nice bullseye gun. Unlike a .38 revolver, it could be used for both the centerfire and .45 matches, and unlike a S&W 625, it wouldn't weigh a ton (relatively speaking) and could use all of the target stocks available for Smith K and L grames.

Back