45-70 vs. 12ga slug vs. 20ga slug

cornered rat

If we are talking about hunting, what would be pluses of each choice?
Seems to me that shotgun slugs actually have higher velocity than 45-70 slugs and similar weight...and don't cost as much. Rifled shotguns are cheaper, too. What would make 45-70 a better choice, lighter guns or sm-th else? Or is it Ford/Chevy type debate?

------------------
Cornered Rat
http://dd-b.net/RKBA RKBA posters
http://dd-b.net/olegv Portrait, nature photos

Some like Fords, some Chevys or Dodges. All will do the job if inserted properly. The shotguns are more versatile, whether that's important to thee is something I cannot answer.

As for my choice, I hunt shotgun counties and usually use a 12 ga 870 with a rifled tube, peep sight, and so on. Occasionally I go with the little 20 ga 870 I got for the kids.

I truely doubt any deer well hit with any of the above will be able to differentiate between them.

CR,

Issue resolution is target dependent.

The .45-70 has the longer range (shotguns don't shoot Creedmore 600-1000yd matches) and a greater variety of bullets (solids thru jacketed hollow points and cast bullets).

12/20ga is a less expensive ammo, but is more versatile only in that it offers the use of shot vs projectile (discounting novelty loads). This latter is a issue to the deer hunter, as some places restrict the hunter to buckshot, others are slug only.
Since many hunters are married, and the more thrifty of the complementary set may exert a decrementing influence on the total financial outlay to support the activity, the shotgun's versatility across game seasons (upland, migratory waterfowl, deer, etc) and recreational shooting (skeet, trap, clays) becomes a determinant in optimizing the fun factor/buck (pun!).

------------------
Mykl
~~~~~
"If you really want to know what's going on;
then, you have to follow the money trail."
$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

[This message has been edited by Mykl (edited October 27, 1999).]

Chevy power! I shoot both and on close range the slugs larger frontal area will probably have greater shock value and the 45 better penetration with right bullets with a little experimentation you can shoot 500g barnes solids in the 45-70 or 600g hard alloy slugs in 12ga (brenneke). I dont think it is really going to matter which at shotgun ranges.

I shoot Ruger No 1 45-70 with at least max charge and it will out perform the 12 in energy and range, but then again benneli will hold 8 three inch mag slugs and shoot them as fast as you can pull trigger (more firepower).

I saw my dad hit a baby praire dog with his Shilo 45-70 from about 50 yards away. Moved the dog back about 10 yards. Had a full side view. looked pretty cool! :) He has gotten several deer with this rifle(if you want to pack the 12lb thing). Good caliber as you can shoot smokeless & black.

Later
Daren

Back