45-70 rolling block

Edward Dixon

Inactive
I recently saw a piece on American Shooter about Remington rolling block rifles, specifically the Creedmore-style 45-70's. I think I'm in lust. I started looking around the web for info on current reproductions and just ordered an up-to-date Dixie Gunworks catalog, but I'm not yet sure how much choice I'll end up having. I read an extremely favorable article about the Pedersoli-made version which was mentioned as selling in Cabela's for about $650, but then saw the article was a couple years old, and when I checked my current Cabela's catalog it was not listed. I also think this gun may now retail for over $900. An almost $300 increase in two years seems like a lot. Have any significant improvements been made? Any advice or recommendations from owners or shooters in the same general area would be appreciated.

Many thanks, Ed Dixon

Forgot to mention that I've got an original 1 1/2 that was rebuilt in the early 1960s with an old Numrich Arms kit. With my handloads I'm moving a 405 flat nose bullet at around 1250 fps. Could make it a bit hotter with no problem.
I assume that you're looking at a 4570. There are there reloading levels for 45/70. First is the single shot (Rolling Block, Trapdoor etc) then there are the modern lever actions and finally the modern single shots (Ruger No 1 and Browning Hi-Wall). Don't try mixing up the loads by trying the more powerful loading in a weaker/older action (using lever action ammunition in a rolling block)
I love shooting mine. At around 14 lbs for the rifle my loadings are very mellow. Hardly any felt recoil at all! If you want to shoot long range I would suggest another caliber though. Check out Lone Star for a real quality product. I've handled a couple of their weapons. Wish I could get a couple. ;)

Back