45-70 mould ?

Old 454

I have this Lyman/Ideal mould 457127 would this be considered a collar button mould ?
Can’t upload pics due to security token missing uggg

No, that's a light round-nosed bullet for single-shot guns. 210 grains, according to one reference I found. It's no longer cataloged, so you have to look for it. Collar button bullets are even lighter, at 140 grains, and have a slightly conical nose form. Here's an article about them with photos and also showing some actual old-fashioned collar buttons so you can see the connection of the name to the form.

I have located it in three Lyman books from 1955 and 1957 that state 195 grain and one from 1958 that says 210 grain same mold numbers 457127

Ideal/Lyman #457130 is the collar button 45 mould , 145 grain and a very short conical point ... it literally looks like a collar button .

#457127 is a short RN with 2 grease grooves and weighs 210 grains .

I would upload photo's but that is above my pay grade see Lyman Ideal Bullet Mould Chart http://www.three-peaks.net/Lyman_and_Ideal_Bullet_Molds.pdf there is a pdf you can print for future reference .
Gary

Last edited by a moderator:
Both are next to each other near the bottom right side of page 9 of that file. Thanks for sharing it, Gary. I made your link go directly to it.

Old 454,

195 to 210 is about the difference you'd get using linotype and pure lead in the same mold. Don't know why anyone would run pure lead, though. The difference from Lyman #2 would be only about 1/3 that much.

Thanks for all the information

You all are the best …. I will be giving this mold to a friend who shoots the 45-70

Both are next to each other near the bottom right side of page 9 of that file. Thanks for sharing it, Gary. I made your link go directly to it.

Old 454,

195 to 210 is about the difference you'd get using linotype and pure lead in the same mold. Don't know why anyone would run pure lead, though. The difference from Lyman #2 would be only about 1/3 that much.
Thanks for the help Unclenick ... I'm about as computer illiterate as a person can be ,
I had no idea how to make a link to go directly to it and you saved the day !

If you don't have a copy of this chart , use the link Unclenick provided and print out a couple copies ... if you shoot cast bullets you find yourself referring to it quite often .
Finding my printed copies is a lot easier than finding that link ... trust me.
Gary

FWIW, I know this is an older post, but there's some info I found in the article Uncle Nick posted on the collar button bullet. Good article, and in the article there, was this website that might be of interest to the old gun cranks and bullet casters looking through it. I know I'll spend some time looking at the old books/manuals offered by these folks:

www.cornellpubs.com

Thanks for the posting, Uncle Nick.

Thanks for the link, Reinert. That could be a useful resource for many. I'm going to add it to the sticky thread for manuals in the gunsmithing forum.

Back