45-70 deer loads

bb gun

I am looking for at least 2 Factory loading for Whitetail hunting at ranges up to 150 yd. max.The rifle is a 1895 Marlin.I am looking for a shell that will not put a crater in the deer but will do the job with the least amount of damage. Thanks for any help.

Check out corbon's homepage www.corbon.com. They have a lot of different 45-70 loads for specialized purposes. They have everything from hard cast 400 gr. "bear defense" loads to lighter, bonded-core loads. Might give you some ideas. And, of course, it's hard to find a better load than corbon.

Good Luck

Any of the 300 grain loads should work fine . I am now using the Winchester Partition load since some of the 300 HPs seemed too damaging at under 50 yds . Sight in at 100 yds and the drop at 150 will be ~5". With the Marlin you should get about 1 1/2" groups at 100yds.You don't need anything more than the 300s for deer.

Whitetail dont need a lot of killing. Remington, Winchester, or Federal 300 grain slugs will do a fine job. I have heard good things about the Federal PowerShok 300 grain with the Sierra HP, and the Winchester SuperX 300 gr JHP. Typical shots at Whitetails are less than 100 yards.

Win SuperX 300 grainer. Remington 300 grainer. Both of these are on the shelves locally - haven't seen Federal in anything under 400 locally, IIRC. The Winchester is at Bass Pro if you have one of those locally. Any can be ordered easily off the net.

PMC is supposed to have a good +P round out there somewhere. 350 gr bullet at 2000+ fps If not the Rem 405 factory stuff should work. Just take some time to get to know it. It going kinda slow (1200 fps) so learn it's trajectory.

I've pushed the 405's at 1700 through a 4x4 Bull elk. Found the bullet under the skin on the far side. no blood shot meat, you could eat right up to the hole :rolleyes:
Cajun

There are currently several good factory loads out there

The 300 and 350 gr factory loads probably give you a little additional range, dut to a flatter trajectory.

As a handloader, I really like the Seer 400 gr. JSP, loaded to around 1650 to 1700 in my Guide Gun. I'm also looking for a good, uniform cast lead bullet in about that weight. With iron sights, I feel limited to about 150 yards anyhow, and I want a bullet adequate for feral hogs if the opportunity arises.

Best of luck - -
Johnny

i like a hard cast lead or a jacketed like the corbon PEN load. i'd stay clear of the HP's if you want the meat or mount. a HP that starts out at .45 is gonna do some nasty damage coming out.

Back