.45-70 cowboy rds in Marlin 1895G

marcseatac

I was wondering about the low power type .45-70 cowboy action rounds in my Marlin 1895 (short barrel) Guide Gun. I normally shoot modern jacketed loads in this button rifled, ported levergun. Would ammo such as Black Hills or Ultramax cause any leading of the barrel? The velocities are greatly reduced and thought it might be more fun just shooting at targets and might lead to more frequent use of the rifle. Seems the price is about the same either way.

Any expertise appreciated!

cowboy loads

Cowboy loads will shoot great from your Marlin. There will be no leading other than some very fine "threads" that will push out with a normal cleaning patch when your done.

Just be sure to thoroughly clean your barrel of gilding metal fouling before shooting the lead bullets - this will prevent any lead fouling and improve accuracy.

Oh, and if you are paying $20 a box for ammo, then I strongly recommend that you get a basic reloading kit and load your own cowby loads - you will save a tremendous amount of money if you do any amount of shooting and you'll be able to taylor the loads to your rifle for best accuracy. I recommend Laser Cast bullets - 405 grain flatnose .458". For powder, I strongly recommend Accurate Arms XMP-5744 - try 28 grains - get a free loading book for AA powders when you buy - they list the loads. Winchester brass is great and ditto on their large rifle primers. Enjoy!

Last edited:
reloading

If you do, then check this out:
highresimage

Its an RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master kit. $259 at Midway USA, but you can find it on sale if you look around.

If that's too steep for you, then check this:
highresimage

Lee Anniversary kit with manual - $89 from Midway. It will do the job too.

The Rock Chucker kit will last you for your entire life and you can will it to your kids! Its the best IMHO.

I like that rock chucker. I copied all this for future reference including your advice on the Accurate Arms powder. Thanks again.

Back