44mag rifle scope recommendation?

axis223

im looking for a scope under $80 for a 44mag handi rifle. its going to be a loaner so don't want to top with anything expensive. I was looking at simmons 4-32 but the x hairs look a little thin for deer hunting.

thanks.

I'd rather just get by with irons than waste $80 on a scope.

The 3-9x redfield is a great little scope that you'll probably happily use for a long while after, definitely above $80 though.

If you choose to scope it,and,as you say,its a low -buck loaner

I'd look for a used 2.5 x scope of a decent quality brand.

Such as an old Weaver,Redfield,etc. Gun shops,pawn shops,gun shows,and E-bay.

Remember the 1903A4 sniper rifle of WW2 had a 2 1/2 x scope.My Lyman Alaskan on my replica A4 works great!.I think production ended 1953.

About one "x" of magnification per 100 yds hunting range is plenty.

With your budget,forget extra magnification and variables.

Update,I looked on e-bay.Used scope market is different than last time I looked.
Maybe looking at new makes more sense,you decide

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Weaver-Mode...743149?hash=item3601f00ced:g:SsgAAOSw3ihXS4fE

Last edited:
I can't recommend ANY Simmons scope made in this century.
I recently bought a 2-7 Vortex for around $70 to mount on a medium range AR carbine. This is a good scope IMHO with distinct adjustments, clear glass, and well proportioned crosshairs. Another moderately priced low X utility scope is the Bushnell Banner 1.5-5 X. I have 4-5 of those mounted on short/medium range carbines with good results. They hold zero well and have decent glass. I trust this scope enough to mount one on my "duty rifle" that is carried in my work vehicle.

Any scope for under $80 will break. If its lenses are not made of plastic.
Cabela's has scopes on sale at $100 to $149 that'll do. Nikons and Bushnell's mostly. You don't need or want a big heavy high magnification scope on any kind of .44 Mag though. 1x or 2.5X is plenty.
Savage quit using Simmons for a reason too.

I've always had good luck with budget friendly scopes. This Bushnell 1.5-4.5X is well built with good brightness and clarity. This is their Dawn to Dusk model. It was bought through amazon for less than $80. a couple years ago and has proved itself sturdy enough to hold up to 44 MAG recoil. I'm favorably impressed with this scope. But I would not choose this scope for a big thundering magnum rifle with tons of recoil for fear the internal parts might be damaged.

This 100 yard cluster speaks to the quality of the rifle, scope, and ammo. This is my deer hunting outfit!

Bushnell has a very good warranty.

Jack

Last edited:
For a low buck option you can just buy a $40 tasco for the loaner rifle. I've taken several off guns I've bought and transferred them to other guns that needed an emergency scope. I was just out yesterday shooting a 30-06 with a 3x9x40 tasco on it and it held zero just fine.

Same thing with a Type 38 Arisaka and 3x9x32 that's who knows how many years old. I'm sure the guy now trashes tasco scopes because they wouldn't hold a zero. Truth is I took this used gun all down to the nuts and bolts and found that whoever drilled and tapped for the scope mounts didn't tap the rear ones deep enough and therefore it didn't hold zero because it was never solid mounted till now. And holds zero great.

You don't need a Leopold on a loaner gun but they are nice.

used

I wouldn't put anything bigger than 4x on a .44 carbine, and you could get by w/ less. My .44 wore a 2.75x for a long time, then briefly a 2.5x, and now a 1-4x variable. All those were Leupolds, bought used, on ebay.

A fixed 4x Leupold, on ebay, might go for around $100 bucks, maybe a tad more. It'd be money well spent.

I used to have a Nikon 4x Pro Staff on my 44 mag and it held up just fine. It is a little smaller than most scopes and is set with a 50 yard paralax setting that is perfect for a pistol caliber lever gun. But they run around a hundred bucks. Slightly more than what you want to spend but you will end up with a good scope.

Natchez used to have some Nikon refurbished scopes for a good discount. You might check them out.

Try to find a used Leupold Vari-X-1 or VX-1 1-4 scope. They are clear and bright and hold up well. Either should be pretty well matched to the short receiver of the 77/44. Also, I can't see needing more than 3 or 4x on a .44 Magnum carbine. I've had a couple and while I lobbed quite a few rounds at steel plates at 200 yards, they're really more of a 125-yard gun.

Last edited:
shots would be 75 yards and under. I threw the Nikon 2-7 I had on the slug gun on there for now seeing how seasons coming up in 2 weeks.

Some time back I put a $35 "el cheapo" red dot sight on my 14" Contender .45-70, which I would think has a tad more recoil than a .44Mag handi-rifle.

So far, it has held up to couple hundred rounds.

The trick to getting a good scope cheap is to find an older, quality scope, but not one someone thinks is a collector's item.

I am partial to the old steel Weaver scopes, (including the store brands), and I look for the low power ones with the POST /crosswire reticle. For me, nothing is faster in the woods. Easier to pick up than thin crosshairs when the background is cluttered. Just like looking at a front sight. Put the tip of the post where you want the bullet to go, and shoot.

Strangely not a popular reticle in sporting scopes today, but do note one (or more) of the very popular "tactical" sights essentially uses a POST reticle.

Newer scopes, with better optics, & coatings can give you better light transmission, and other things, but you are going to pay $$$ for that. Its up to you to decide IF the difference in performance is #1) something you can see and use, and #2) if it is worth the difference in cost, to YOU.

if it were me I'd consider a reflex scope like a Sightmark ULTRA Shot Plus. <$100 I can certainly hit deer vital area shots at 100 yards plus it's kind of useful when you want to remove it and use it for some kind of budget tactical build.

Just my two cents.

Back