44mag in a 444 marlin revolver

Zmax

HI! I have not been on in a long time . I recently bought a marlin 444 . It's actually the best "stock" gun I have shot . I would eventually love a revolver in 444 marlin . My question is could I shoot 44 mag in the revolver not the rifle. I Know throat issues would make it a bad idea in the rifle. Thanks good to be back.

You cannot shoot a .44 in a .444.
The .44 Mag is a rimmed cartridge with a 1.285" case length and 1.600" OAL with a 240 grain bullet. The .444 is a rimless rifle cartridge with a 2.225" case length and 2.535" OAL with a 240 grain bullet.
They are not interchangeable. The only similarity is the bullets they use.
"...weighs a substantial fraction of a 444 rifle..." Marlin M444 weighs 7.5 pounds. A .444 BFR weighs 5.3.

T. O'Heir You cannot shoot a .44 in a .444.
The .44 Mag is a rimmed cartridge with a 1.285" case length and 1.600" OAL with a 240 grain bullet. The .444 is a rimless rifle cartridge with a 2.225" case length and 2.535" OAL with a 240 grain bullet.
They are not interchangeable. The only similarity is the bullets they use.
"...weighs a substantial fraction of a 444 rifle..." Marlin M444 weighs 7.5 pounds. A .444 BFR weighs 5.3.

You might want to check your data. The 444 Marlin is a rimmed cartridge with dimensions that would allow a 44 magnum round to chamber in the gun and the 444 Marlin operates at slightly higher pressures. There is enough space that the 44 magnum might bulge too much to be reloadable but it would take firing one to be sure.

The .444 is a rimless rifle cartridge..

No. The 444 is definitely a rimmed cartridge. It looks similar enough to a long version of the 44 Mag that it might appear to be OK to shoot a 44 Mag in a 444 chamber, but it's not.

True. Which means a BFR weighs 71% of the weight of a 444 Marlin rifle. 7/10ths is a substantial fraction in my book.

On a fairly regular basis the idea comes up on gun forums of shooting cartridges in handguns not chambered for that cartridge. With the obvious exceptions of 38 Specials in 357 Magnums and 44 Specials in 44 Magnums, this is almost universally a bad idea. The fact that you might get away with it a time or two doesn't not make it either a viable option or a smart thing to do.

Dave

well IIRC when Marlin developed the triple 4, the concept of the 444 round was to be like a 45-70 Gov. in brush carbine/guide gun but in .430 cal., so you cannot shoot 44 mag in a 444 Marlin pistol.

More importantly than the case length and overall cartridge length is the diameter. The .44 Magnum is .457-.458" just forward of the rim while the .444 Marlin is .469-.470". That's a lot of room for the case to expand and it probably won't without splitting or, at least, extreme bulging.
Think of the .444 Marlin case as a straightwall .308 with a rim.

Sure wish the geniuses who designed the .444 had just lengthened the .44 magnum case. Make life much simpler.
...And reliability issues the norm.

They knew what they were doing.
Essentially what they did was blow out 8x57mm Mauser and add a rim. (Or, cut the neck off of .30-06, blow it out, and add a rim; if you prefer.)

The thicker case walls help prevent case denting and deformation while handling, feeding, and loading; the taper aids in extraction; and the thicker web allows for chamber pressure in excess of .44 Mag case design (or even the Marlin rifles the cartridge was designed for).

That's exactly why they didn't just lengthen the 44 magnum. Since the beginning of time lever actions have always run smoother and more reliably on tapered and/or bottle necked cartridges.

Even if the designers had made the 444 a longer 44 magnum so 44 mag cartridges would safely chamber, 44 mag cartridges probably would not have fed through a lever action designed for the much longer 444.

Not a design goal worth worrying about.

Back