.444 Marlin vs 45/70

HarryB

Still contemplating the large bore lever action. Whats your opinion of the pros and cons of each cartridge? Recoil, effective range, tragectory, etc...

Factory 45-70 will always be down loaded because of the large number of old rifles that are not capable of safely handling the modern ammo. That said, 45-70 is always more plentiful.

The 444 Marlin is a real sleeper and does not share the burden of all those old rusted relics with lawyers waiting in the wings to take action. For a hard hitting brush buster lever gun, the 444 Marlin is hard to beat. Factory ammo literature will tell you exactly what the difference are in factory ammo. If you hand load, I think the 444 Marlin case offers a better platform to work from as well.

I would suggest you check out the Winchester and Marlin "guide" guns. I tend to lean to the Winchesters a little more now but, those Marlin's are hard to beat. Both are a lot of fun to own and shoot but, remember basic physics is at work here. A lightweight rifle firing heavy projectiles at higher velocities will recoil harder. A good recoil pad and a shooting coat or shooting shirt (no T-shirts here ;) ) will go a long way to "muting" the bite of recoil.

Sid

Back