442 cylinder

Is it normal for the blue to wear off the front of the cylinder? I've only had it a short time, maybe 200 runds through it with a couple of cleanings (no harsh stuff, just breakfree) and the edges are starting to show bare metal (although slightly).

It is not at all uncommon for the sharp edges of blued firearms to show wear relatively quickly. Particular areas to note are the leading edge of cylinders and the sides of the barrel at the muzzle of revolvers, and the front of the slide on pistols. These wear patterns tend to develop from taking guns in and out of holsters, and are commonly referred to as "holster wear."

It's not normal holster wear, since it is more on the face of the cylinder (and none on the barrel or anywhere else). Just wondering if the cylinder face gets worn quickly from shooting and cleaning....

BTW....i hear you can't hard chrome over aluminum so what would be my best bet for a tough new finish down the road....teflon wears too easy and i don't want to reblue..would electroless nickel be my best bet?

Back