.44 Special in .44 Magnum

I have a Ruger Vaquero chambered for the .44 magnum. I heard that I can shoot .44 specials with it. Is this true? I would like to know, because "cowboy loads" are not made in .44 magnum because they did not exist until 1950's, but the .44 specials did. The .44 specials are made in "cowboy loads." Also, what kind of effect will the .44 specials have on my revolver? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

CelticSniper308

.44spec will work just fine in it. Some ammo will tend to leave crud between the end of the shorter case and throat. If you brush it out every few hundred rounds no problem. If the crud builds fast, push a fired magnum case into each hole, cheep crud cutter.

Sam

Celtic-Yes, you can fire .44 Specials in your .44 Magnum, just like .38 Special will work in a .357 Magnum. The only "problem" you might encounter is a build-up of fouling at the forward part of the chamber, which needs to be cleaned COMPLETELY before firing Magnum ammo again. That said, I know of at least ONE manufacturer who DOES put up "Cowbot loads" in .44 Magnum cases...Georgia Arms! Their ammo is excellent, as is their service...and they have a website! Check 'em out....you'll be glad you did!!!....mikey357

Thank you, gentlemen. I really appreciate the advice. I will look into the company that you suggested Mikey357. I was told that by one person so (thinking ahead) I decided to get some more input. Thanks again for your responses.

CelticSniper308

If you handload, just make up light loads in magnum cases. It will solve the carbon problem.

I have heard of revolver chambers being "fire etched" by long-term use of .38/.44 Spec cases in .357/.44 Mag chambers, but haven't actually seen this, and I'm not sure it isn't just really solid carbon buildup.

Back