.44 Special for CCW and self defense

riddleofsteel

The search function seems to be down. I would like to get some info and opinions on the .44 Special in a 3" barrel for CCW and self defense.
I have loaded .44 Special cases for years with 180 or 200 grain hollow points to shoot out of my 629 Classic. I go more for accuracy and fast follow up rather than trying to "magnumize" them. Trouble is my 629 has a 6" barrel. The gun I am looking at is a S&W 24-3 with a 3" barrel that was sold thru Lew Horton.

So what do you think?

Any good?

Advantages over more common cartridges like the .38 Special/357 Magnum?

Disadvantages?

:confused:

Well, in my .44 Special guns I use the 200gr Federal LSWC-HP or the 200gr Silvertip, although I've bought a box of CCI Blazers loaded with 200gr Gold Dots and am considering using those.

The .357 Mag is, IMHO, probably a "better stopper", but the .44 Special is plenty good enough, and is not as dependant on velocity for its' penetration or performance. Also, the muzzle blast is nowhere near as bad in a 2.5" or 3" gun as it is with the .357 Magnum.

I think in the .44 Special is about the best thing going in small concealment weapons. That being said, the Lew Horton 24-3 is and N-frame, and a long, long ways from being small. If you are really looking for a CCW, take a look at the Taurus 445--five shot, stainless steel and bobbed hammer. It is "pocketable," concealable, accurate and easy shooting (and less expensive than any 24-3 I've seen for sale).

I think the .44 special is right there with the .45ACP for defensive, offencive or utility work.

When used in the N frame or other large, strong, platform; one can go to some of the older loads that exceed the performance of the .45ACP by a fair amount.

Your choice of blue gives you an even greater margin of strength.

I carry N frames concealed on occaision. Comforting.

24-3 sounds like a winner to me. Tho the Lew Horton 3"er is considerably less expensive than the other 24s, would be my pick.

Sam

Generally speaking the Lew Horton guns represent improved S&W models or editions that S&W has not found it profitable to put in the general catalog.
One example is a 625-7 # .45 Long Colt 3" on one of the auction sites. It retailed for over $800.00 and is still selling at a higher than market value over similar factory guns. Indeed I do not think S&W ever issued a model exactly like it which increses its value.

As to the 24-3; It is a big gun, no arguement there. Keep in mind I already have other large and small guns. My concealed carry varies from a MK40 in hot weather to a P229 in jacket weather, up to .45 Colt Blackhawk in overcoat/hunting weather.

I also have .357 and .44 magnum weapons in snubbies and longer barrels and I find the buck and roar a little bit of a rush but it makes accurate fire target recovery difficult. A little reading over at the Sixgun.com site has kinda got me thinking about how much pressure it takes to turn a .44 Special into a .44 Magnum or a .38 Special into a .357 (usually about double the pressure level, noise level and muzzle flash). Then without exception most folks start talking about "reduced loads." Most law enforcement agencies issued .357 or .357 strength frame firearms and then restricted thier officers to .38+p ammo.
I am thinking that a .44 Special N frame could be loaded to .44 Special +p or mildly hot .44 Special loads and perform like a champ. Plus the weapon would last a lifetime.

I am thinking that a .44 Special N frame could be loaded to .44 Special +p or mildly hot .44 Special loads and perform like a champ. Plus the weapon would last a lifetime

Totally agree.

Sam

I've had my Taurus 445 for almost a month now and I'm just getting used to carrying it in a Blade Tech UCH IWB. So far I love it. I've put a few hundred rounds of light 180gr reloads and can control it without a problem. I carry Hornady 180xtp's, it's very simular to my 45acp in recoil. It is the ported stainless version which I feel helps with me controling it . I can dump all 5 rounds in 3-4 seconds in the center of a B-1 @ 7 yards. I feel I couldn't do it without the ports.
Cajun

The hot loaded .44 Special was a favourite for Law Enforcement (thinking of Skeeter Skelton particularly) back before hollowpoints became so good or everybody had to have high capacities. I tend be of the heavy/"pre-exanded" school myself. I wouldn't mind having a 24-3 either--I just wasn't sure you not what you in for carrying one CCW, but you sound like you know what you're doing.

For what it's worth, the latest figures from Marshall show the Federal lead HP and the Silvertip in .44 Spcl. giving about 70% one-shot stops, and one must suppose that most uses involved three-inch bbl. guns. That's what most carry who wear a .44 Spcl. for defense today. Probably Charters.
I think the M24 S&W with four-inch or 6.5-inch bbl. would do even better. Naturally, handloads with a Keith type bullet of 250 grains at some 900 fps might fare even better. Maybe Speer's 225 grain base-jacketed lead SWC-HP would do well, if they still make it. I believe they plan to phase it out in favor of conventional JHP's.

Lone Star

So what do you think? Ohhhh yeah!
Any good? Are you kidding???

Advantages over more common cartridges like the .38 Special/357 Magnum? That staff is boaring (as you said common)!

Disadvantages? Non, Nil, Zero

A 44 Special snubby is just sooooooo sexy.

The ol' 44 Special cartridge is even sexier
:cool: :cool:

The 44Spl's disadvantage over the 38/357 is that in the same size gun, it will be down at least one round count, possibly two.

N-Frame .357s are going up to 8-shooters. L-Frame=7, K=6. In .44Spl that's 6/6/5, right?

The only .44Spl that really makes sense is the Charter because it's barely bigger than a J-Frame and holds five. Very size efficient. If Charter2000 gets the QC bugs worked out, that's the one to get.

The caliber also makes sense in a six-shot SAA type (Ruger, or whatever) as it can be fractionally more accurate than a .44Mag gun shooting .44Spl and round count is six regardless. However, in a Ruger SA the latest load development stuff being done in .45LC is making both the .44Spl and .44Mag obsolete in those guns.

Remember, the reason the .44Spl exists at all is because the early 20th century brass being used in .45LC was utter crap...so you could load .44Spl hotter in a strong gun (SAA, early N-Frames, Colt 1917, etc). But that's no longer a factor - .45LC brass quality is as good as .44Mag these days.

Given a revolver available in my choice of .44Spl or .45LC, I'd take the latter, even if it wasn't "Ruger strength" for the .45LC+P. And most .44Spl guns can be done up as .45LC by the factory, with possibly the sole exception of the Charters because they need every thousandth worth of cylinder wall they can get building a "J-frame .44" (well OK, not quite, but damned close :D).

I relate to your quandry, riddle - - -

Problem is, everything in life is a trade-off of one type or another.

I ordered one of the Lew Horton snub .44 Spls when they first came out. Luckily, I had a chance to shoot one belonging to another guy before mine arrived. The M24 3" was a joy to shoot with almost anything I loaded into it–Hot handloads that were unpleasant in a Charter, factory 246 RNL, 185 Silvertips. Problem was, it didn’t have enough barrel to be a good field sidearm. It was heavy and bulky for concealed wear. The 185 Silvertips were quite mild. The Fed 225 SWHPs hadn’t been introduced yet.

For personal defense, I could carry AND conceal my .45 Commander LW more easily, with more shots and more power, unless I went to hot .44 handloads. My agency frowned on handloads for duty use. I did lot of soul searching and finally traded off the revolver, unfired, and got a good deal on it. I’d still love to have a nice, blue 4" for a field gun, but, really, my .45 Colt Mountain Gun suits me better.

For concealed carry and light duty shooting, the little Charter is still a pretty good sidearm. And I’m certainly not against the M24 in any configuration. I simply can’t afford to own every nice gun that comes past.

Best of luck in your choice.
Johnny

I am shocked...SHOCKED!...that Tamara didn't post a pic of her Rossi M720 DAO. :cool:

The .44 Special is a fine carry cartridge, especially in the above-mentioned revolver. I like the hot 200g Gold Dot...the hollowpoint is so big you can drink beer from it.

The 3-inch Model 24 is a sweet revolver and, my being a longtime .44 Special fan, I like mine a lot.

That said, among my concealed carry guns the 3-inch 24 has yielded to the Model 296. Even though both are .44 Special, the weight and bulk of an all-steel N-frame versus an aluminum/titanium/steel L-frame make a big difference to me in pure terms of toting the gun around. The 296 is simply a lot easier to carry. Also, the concealed hammer of the 296 is a plus, IMHO.

True, the 24 is easier to shoot with just about anything. But the 296 does fine with Silvertips. I feel plenty well armed with that combination.

Just my $0.02. :cool:

riddleofsteel,

I have a 3" Lou Horton M24. Not a bad gun if you can put up with the bulk of the cylinder. I traded a 696 for it because the L-frame was just too big for only five shots. I don't carry the M24 concealed as I am more of a semiauto shooter for social intercourse.

Best load I found (chronographing) is the Speer/CCI 200g Gold Dot. If you want the brass for reloading buy the Speer, otherwise save a little and opt for the aluminum cases (they work fine in revolvers). In both the 3" 44 Specials I had the CCI averaged right around 900 fps (just a little under but close enough).

If you get one (3" M24) and want a set of concealment grips, I have a set of Hogue wooden ones that are short and sweet (don't need them since I don't carry this except to the range to play). E-mail me if you are at all interested. Enjoy the M24 and the fine 44 Special cartridge.

and one must suppose that most uses involved three-inch bbl. guns. That's what most carry who wear a .44 Spcl. for defense today. Probably Charters.

I wonder.......If they are including older Law enforcement shoots, there would be a preponderance of 4" and longer barrels involved. Large frame duty weapons.

Sam

I had one of those!!

I recently sold one of the LH .44 sp's. It was a great gun: quite accurate (better than I could see to shoot the snubby!), had a fantastic trigger-in both DA & SA mode and I have all the faith in the world in those big ole .44 sp thumper loads for use in 'social situations'.

However, I could NEVER find THE way to carry the big ole N frame concealed. The thick cylinder bulged and the heavy gun with a short barrel was hard to get to 'stay put' while carrying.

If you could solve the carry problem, it would be close to perfect. Good luck.

Back