44 special ammo

MellowMikey

Hello,
Does any commercial manufacturer load a 180 or 200gr hp in a +p loading? All the stuff I have been able to get for my Taurus snubby is a bit anemic on the chrono.
I don't handload, so that is not an option at this time.
I have the Triton 165gr, but would like something heavier.

Thanks in advance,
Mikey

Out of a S&W M24 4 inch

With CCI Blazer 200GDHP ( gold dot) I got and average of 905 fps.

With Rem 200 SWC it was 865.

I woulf feel good useing either.Best...dewey

I'd second the Gold Dot. Other choices would be the Federal 200gr LSWC-HP, which has no jacket to hinder the expansion of this slow-moving load (844fps/316fpe from 3" Rossi) or the Winchester 200gr Silvertip (although a very slow load, it does have the advantage of making it very obvious from the business end that 'This Gun Is Loaded. Leave Now.')...

'nuther good word here for the Winchester 200gr Silvertip. Accuracy out of my Trapper and my Smith Model 29 is superb. The 165 gr Cor-Bon sounds interesting though. I'll have to get some and try it. If the accuracy is there, it may be worth the switch.

Thanks everybody

I currently have the Gold Dot in Blazer cases, man that is a big hollowpoint. :D I would love to have the same load with just another 100fps out of my snubbie, 750fps is a little slow, but it doesn't stop me from carrying it.
It is an awesome little gun with a venerable cartridge that is still a winner.

Mikey

"...man that is a big hollowpoint.:D"

I've seen beer mugs that would hold less.:)

Reminds me of what a guy thought the first time he looked at the wrong end of a 1911..."Damn, you could park a car in there!"

Especially in stainless, the 'Foty-fo' carries a real intimidation factor.

Like Tamara, I'm fond of the Rossi 720...a fine revolver with a smoooooooth trigger. It's an easy to pack, easy to use handgun.

Sure wish Rossi/Taurus/BrazTech would bring it back.

7.5 gr Unique behind a 240gr LSWC is "good medecine". Sadly, the 44 spl is the red headed stepchild of calibres. It really comes into its own if you handload. I am seriously thinking about one of Cimarron's Thunderer 3.5 " 44spl for a carry/knock around gun. Anyone here have one of these pieces? At least on paper, it looks to be one hell of a belly gun and not just for cowboy shooting, either. It looks like a serious piece. Something nice to stick in the belt while walking the puppy late at night.

Back