44 spc

Winston

I've heard that there might be some sort of problems with
shooting 44 special through a S&W 629 .44mag

Something about rings forming inside the cylinder chambers?

What's the debate about?

I shoot 44 spec in my old S&W mod 29 and it hasn't damaged it yet. There is a ring in the cylinder because the 44 spec case is shorter than the mag case but its just a carbon ring and comes out when I clean the gun. The cylinder isn't damaged.

I have two 629s, a six inch and a two and a half inch. I have used 44spcl ammo for over ten years. I always shoot six magnums though at the end. I purchased a 396 two years ago and switched all my ammo to 44scpl. No problems as long as you clean you guns.
michael

've heard that there might be some sort of problems

That is a theory I have never proved over the last 41 years of shooting.

If you reload you can use .44 Magnum cases.

I would not worry about the cylinders ringing. A good gunsmith can take them out.

As Raider & 44 lite have said, it's just a ring of carbon & other crud that collects at the end of the chambers. If you DON'T clean the chambers completely, and then try to shoot 44 Magnums, they sometimes won't fit into the chamber because too much crud is in the way.
The real "problem" occurs when there is just enough crud that you can force the 44 Mag cartridges into the chambers. Then when you fire them, there isn't any room for the case neck to expand to release the bullet. This can cause the chamber pressure to become much higher than normal, potentially damaging the gun (and you). This same "problem" can happen with 357 Magnums firing 38 specials, 32 Magnums firing 32 longs etc.

All you have to do to prevent this is to keep the chambers clean. Cartridges should fall all the way into the chamber, with no pushing on them required. If your gun has really rough chambers and tends to "grab" onto the cases, then take it to a good gunsmith or send it back to the factory for a LIGHT polishing - you don't want the chambers enlarged, just a smoothing of the chamber walls. This also makes cleaning easier.

Thanks

Thanks for the replys. Now that that deck is cleared, What are some good options for 44spc range ammo..

1. Cheap
2. Not so cheap but perhaps more accurate

CCI Blazer

has always been a top performer at a low cost, for me anyway. Most loads are in the 'fast' class and accurancy is quit good. Hope this helps....dewey

Chris McDermott makes a valid point. Letting the crud build up in the chamber tween the mouth of short cases and the end of the chamber can cause higher than normal pressure when shootin full length rounds afterwards.

Quickie fix, just run FIRED magnum case into each chamber before loading it up with magnum rounds. The expanded mouth of the fired case cuts the crud out where it counts. Doesn't clean the gun, just gets the bad stuff out of the way.

Sam

Back