44 Remington Kirst Konvertors to be special order

Old Dragoon

I looked at River Junction Trade Co. Website last Sat. as I am in the market for one or two 44 Rem Kirst Gated Uberti Konvertors. I could not find them online on their site. I called RJ Monday morning and talked to Jim Boeke, owner and he informed me that yes, they are still available, but that now they are a special order. Meaning none being kept in stock. Orders will be taken and sent to Walt to be drop shipped from Walt's place. Jim could not tell me the turnaround time for the special order. Maybe the folks that want one should band together and make a large order to insure a production run. I can see onesy and twosy orders getting pidgeon holed until there is enough orders to do a run. Hope that isn't the case but i cannot see Walt running one cylinder thru the process.

Bummer! However he had one Uberti Cylinder left and he put my name on it and a gated recoil ring. He got my order today, so I should have it next Friday.

Jim also told me that the only difference in the Pietta and Uberti Kirst 44 Rem Cylinders is the length of the Pietta is longer.
I machine .018 off the face of my Pietta Kirst 44 Rem cyl. it'll fit my Euroarms '58 Rem. I just might do that if the special order is a long lead time turn around.

I still need one more!

Dragoon, When using a cartridge converter cylinder in these guns (Pietta or Uberti) what type ammo can safely be fired in them? Can all the Cowboy action ammo for .45 colt be used safely? If reloading, do the same principles apply with cartridges assuming black powder or pyrodex P are used, being that you can not overload them because of volume limitations?

Cowboy loads only should be used in these. I load 28-30 Grn real BP and they do fine. The CAS targets are close and big so basically you point and shoot, however my "30" grn load ended up being 28 Grn actual weight of FFG. That is about all I can get in the 44 Colt brass with the 248 Grn Bullet with compression.

This 28 Grn load is very accurate to at least 25 yds.(all I've shot it) I can hit, consistantly, a 16 ounce water bottle or the same size juice bottle at 25 Yds with two of my Pietta '58 Rem. (same Konvertor cylinder).

The 45LC cylinders also take cowboy loads only. Black Hills is a good one Winchester also makes Cowboy loads. , Ultramax and a new company Great Basin makes them too. Off the shelf at the gunshop/walmart 45 lc are too hot unless it specifically says Cowby Load.

Back