.44 magnum recoil

Status
Not open for further replies.

SharpCdn

Okay, I just bought my first 44 mag. (S&W, 6", Model 29, with target sights, unfluted cylinder), and I've never fired this calibre before. I've heard really bad stories about the recoil, but then it is such a popular round. So, is it really that brutal? How does it compare to full house 357 loads?

I will find out for myself shortly, but it will be at least a week before I get a chance to fire it. I'm really curious and I'd like to hear from people who have experience with this caliber.

(Recommend loads too?)

Thanks in advance.

This belongs in handguns, I'll move it there and lock it here

------------------
"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes" RKBA!

You will notice considerably more "push" with the 44. It will come more straight back than the 357 but still have considerable muzzle lift. The muzzle blast is not quite as "sharp" as the 357 but the concussion is noticable and completely different from the 357. You'll feel your cheeks move!

You will probably find that you want a good aftermarket rubber grip unless it already has the S&W Hogue grips on it.

It won't hurt you, it just makes a lot of noise and kicks a little but all that happens after the bullet leaves the barrel. If you do your part, and don't flinch, you'll love it!

One side benefit - after you shoot the 44 a while, the 357 seems like a pea shooter...

Mikey

What Mikey said goes here as well. It is a powerful handgun, but fun to shoot and not painful with good grips and proper ear protection.

I have shot 158 grain full house .357 loads in my S&W Model 60 snubnose. Now, those can hurt if you don't watch it!

For your first outing, here's some less expensive factory loads (shooting a .44 ain't cheap). Try some 240 grain Blazer .44 Mag JHP; this is pretty much a typical factory load. If you are worried about aluminum cases, Remington-UMC has a similar brass cased load as well as a hot 180 grainer. I'd also recommend you try a .44 Special load just for comparison. PMC loads a 240 grain copper washed lead SWC and there's a 200 grain GDHP available in the Blazer line.

Round for round the .44 is in my opinion the best overall handgun (revolver) available. I started with my dad's .357 as a youngster and moved up to the .44s in college. You will notice a larger kick with with the .44 but keep her steady. After you get used to shooting your .44, play a little roulette game whereby you leave one or two of the chambers empty. I'll just say that you will be amazed and can correct some shooting problems if any. With respect to the comment above, the accuracy with the brass Rem loads are superior to the Blazer alum's. (Comes from shooting hundreds of rounds with each.)

Thank you all so far, for your responses. I will take all your advice into consideration for sure.

The ammo sure isn't cheap for this thing is it? I'll be getting some dies ASAP, then I'll be able to tame the loads a bit for target shooting.(For the wife of course)

Can't wait to heave those 44s down range!
I'll keep an eye out for flinching, I prefer to hit what I'm aiming at.

I used to own a 6" Model 29. I really regret selling it as it was fun to shoot. With full factory loads, there will be significant recoil and muzzle rise. The report is actually better than the 357 as the 357 is higher pitch and penetrating than the 44. Firing fullhouse loads requires concentration to relax and keep the sights on target as you squeeze the trigger, but easy to become accurate with practice. For more pleasurable shooting download the 44mag to a hot 44spl(about 400 ft.lbs of energy) and you have a comfortable(and yet still potent) target load. A great caliber and gun!!

------------------

Congratulations on the purchase of a fine gun.

Ammo manufacturers used to make a "medium velocity" load which was very good for all around use and practice. This was a 240 gr. lead bullet at about 1000 fps or so. When you get those dies, strive for about 850 to 1000 fps with the 240 SWC bullets and you'll smile and be happy.

The "heavy hitters" are actually pretty rarely used (according to at least one published poll of .44 Mag. owners), except for hunting. There are a few people who actually enjoy being belted around by hard recoil. The vast majority of us seem not to.

The goal I strive for is to find a hunting load of from 240 to 300 gr. bullets which happily coincides with the POA for the "medium velocity" load of my choice. This can be found, but it takes some research and practice. Good luck!

I've known for a long time I can shoot .38 Special out of a .357 Magnum. However, I know nothing about .44's. Based upon Mikie's comment, is it the same with .44's? Can I shoot .44 Special out of a .44 Magnum?

Thanks. And, likewise - congrat's on your new acquisition.

Regards from AZ

Hi, SharpCdn,

I don't know how much experience you have had, but the .44 Maggie is not for the beginner. Some have sworn off shooting forever when they tried to start with the .44. You can control it and learn to like it, but I never have, and don't own one.

Jim

Jeff Thomas,

Yes, .44 Spl. will fire and function in .44 Mag sixguns just like the .38/.357 situation.

Jim Keenan,

Though I understand and appreciate your position about the.44's, I have taken a different approach. I don't own one either. I currently own and enjoy four.

Ok, here is a little procedure I did with my kids to start them shooting a 44mag.
Start with 44special. generic 200 grain round nose works fine.
Out of the big S&W you will feel virtually no recoil.
After you play with a couple of those boxes, try winchester 44special silvertips- these are very accurate rounds.
After you feel comfortable with these rounds, try corbon 44special and 44mag in 165grain.
These have more oompf, but nothing you can't handle.
After this, you are ready for the 180 and 240 grain 44mag. But since you have worked up to this, you will be ok. If you start at these loads, you may get a little intimidated.
I had my kids go thru this with an Anaconda with a 6 inch barrel. They did ok and you will too.
The big 44s are a joy to shoot.
Good luck.

Well Rod has got me beat. I currently only own 2 44's. I have own many over the years including the 29 and the 629 smiths. They certainly are a good gun and I'm sure you will enjoy it. I first became interested in the big bore when my dad bought a Ruger super blackhawk in the early 70's to hunt with. There was just something about that gun that intriqued me, and it's held my attention for the last 28 years. Heck, I still own my dads Ruger and hunt with it from time to time.

You have received a lot of good information above. Start with the 44 special loads and work your way up to the magnum loads. Just like any other gun, you don't need to have a death grip on it when you shoot. A nice firm grip, take a breath and hold it. Then just squeeze the trigger. The gun will do the rest. Some people prefer holding the gun with two hands, others with one. You will just have to decide which is the most comfortable for you. You might also want to concider a set of rubber grips for your 29. I prefer the Pachmyer grips, but Hogue make an excellent set of grips also.

If in the future you decide to load your own ammo. You will be able to come up with a load that will best suit your needs for hunting and comfort. Good luck, and enjoy your new gun.

[This message has been edited by Fisher (edited September 14, 1999).]

Then you have to contend with the 454 Casull.
Same great advise as above. Some kids are just great and they aren't intimidated by it.
They just come back for more!
Mind set, There is no recoil until after you have done your job.
Hank
I love that taste in my mouth and ringing in my ears! Huh?

.44 Magnums-especially the S&W Model 29 are uncontrollable with truly punishing recoil. Just like the 10mm. Get rid of them at once!
Send them to me :)

spart, they are not punishing.
If a 12 year old boy and a 14 year old girl can shoot them, any adult male can shoot them.
Punishing my ass.
Also, stay away from reloads in plastic bags at gun show. They make things too interesting.

Spartacus,

You sly devil, you're trying to get us to send you our high powered handguns, aren't you?

Nebob,

You do know Spart was being sarcastic, don't you?

Mikie

------------------

Yea, the more I look at it, I guess he is. But I don't want him to scare the new mag shooter.
He'll be nervous enough as it is.

Not THAT much to it,hell, my 9 yr old shoots my Super Redhawk and loves it. Its been my experience that recoil of a particular firearm is NEVER as bad as people say.

WARNING: Cant speak for the really BIG'UNS. never shot a Dumbo gun. :) Have fun!!!!!!

Luke 22:36.......RKBA!......m16

[This message has been edited by m16a2223 (edited September 15, 1999).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back