.44 Mag

ammo.crafter

Anyone have a favorite rifle (Winch 94) load for hunting wild boar?

I have bullets jacketed and cast from 200 to 300 grains.

My .444 is getting a bit heavy to lug around thru the woods at +70 years old.

Thanks.

I'm in the same boat only with a 45-70.Years ago I bought a stainless Marlin .44 mag. lever action as a woods bumming rifle. I have an AR-15 but the Marlin is my real assault rifle.;)

For hunting deer with my 77/44, I like Nosler 240gr JSPs or Speer's 240gr Deep Curl SPs. Both give me great penetration and generally a complete pass thru, even with a high shoulder shot. For hogs I might consider Speer's 270 Deep Curl SPs, but they probably aren't needed.

I have a 44 and a 444. The standard cast bullet or JHP 240gr silhouette revolver load is of H-110. As H-110 and 296 are twin sisters in a different dress, same, same load. I prefer a profile or taper crimp for cast, is usually more accurate, does not scrape the bearing surface, and not so sensitive to case length.

For the 444 a regular old 10grs of Unique with the 240gr cast SWC makes it a pleasure to shoot. With the Lyman 200 SWC I use 17gr of Unique to get little groups at 200 for my cowboy silhouette matches. My cast are 70, 20, 10 (WW, Lino, chilled shot) dropped in water, then sized to bore. Lube is LBT Blue or Rooster Red. If Powder Coated I double coat them, then size, with no lube or GC.

Gee you guys got my enthusiasm up again. I have around 6 boxes of Rem. 444 Marlin .
Extra 100 pcs.empty brass too. Gonna have to get a long gun in .444 once again.

I use a Henry in .44mag. Luckily, it likes my pistol loads of 240gr XTP’s and healthy dose of H110/296 or 4227. It’s massively devastating to a armadillo as well lol.

A loading of 24.4 gr. of H110 , with a Hornady 240 gr XTP has been safe in my Ruger SBH.
It is a near max & also THE Max loading in various books.
I have seen the same load used in TC/Contender pistol...the cases looked good, & primers were not excessively flattened. ( close friend & shooting pal)

I would use a 24 gr. of H110 as the very top end , any lever action.

Back